PC Clicks and Then Shuts Down. PSU must be power cycled.

Blackstone

2[H]4U
I have a new problem where the PC clicks and then powers off completely. It can happen mid game or even loading a game.

I have to flip the psu switch off and then back on for it to power back up again.

Any thoughts?

GPU 3090, PSU Seasonic Prime and SSD are all pretty new.

your psu's ocp is too sensitive. youll need to go higher wattage or move to a known good model, possibly different brand.

Better than Seasonic Prime? It is like top of the line 850 watts!
doesnt matter, the ocp is too sensitive and the gpu spikes set it off. technically there isnt anything wrong with it. there are several threads here about it and there is a list on google of ones without an issue.

doesnt matter, the ocp is too sensitive and the gpu spikes set it off. technically there isnt anything wrong with it. there are several threads here about it and there is a list on google of ones without an issue.
Son of a BITCH! I just plugged all of my stuff into a Seasonic wattage calculator online and it is recommending 1000 watt units! I think I bough the PSU before I got the 3090. But I also have 2 3.5 inch 7200 rpm drives, a M.2 SSD and 3 SATA SSDs, plus four case fans.

I must have jumped up to the next level past 850 without realizing it. The PSU is probably getting demands from the GPU it can't meet.

Son of a BITCH! I just plugged all of my stuff into a Seasonic wattage calculator online and it is recommending 1000 watt units! I think I bough the PSU before I got the 3090. But I also have 2 3.5 inch 7200 rpm drives, a M.2 SSD and 3 SATA SSDs, plus four case fans.

I must have jumped up to the next level past 850 without realizing it. The PSU is probably getting demands from the GPU it can't meet.
huh, that seems higher than id expect from an oline calc, but maybe they are rating the 3090s higher to account for their spiking. most that ive seen having this issue have either moved to another brand, i think several of the corsairs were good, or jumped up to 1000 and they handle them fine.

Well sure enough, according to Seasonic's calculator I should have a 1000 watt PSU! I do have a ton of drives.

Better than Seasonic Prime? It is like top of the line 850 watts!
Unfortunately the ATX spec doesn't say anything about very short term power spikes; and a some quality vendors have previously erred farhter on the side of assuming a short and shutting everything down ASAP to prevent a magic smoke release. Unfortunately on millisecond scales the 3xxx series generates significantly larger power spikes on 12V than previous generation cards do resulting in their normal operation being mistakenly identified as a fail condition.

OTOH at least one cheaper PSU vendor's "fix" for the issue was just to put capacitors in replacement GPU cables (RMA service and new retail models) to smooth surges a bit; which stopped the OCP from tripping. Unfortunately it also revealed that the previous behavior was aligned with the maximum that the PSU could handle while maintaining good voltage regulation, and while IIRC not out of spec the 12v rail had a lot lot more voltage fluctuation while running a 3xxx card. So, while you might be able to keep your 850 with aftermarket cables (assuming they exist) it might not be a good fix, and without an oscilloscope you won't have a good way to check.

Unfortunately the ATX spec doesn't say anything about very short term power spikes; and a some quality vendors have previously erred farhter on the side of assuming a short and shutting everything down ASAP to prevent a magic smoke release. Unfortunately on millisecond scales the 3xxx series generates significantly larger power spikes on 12V than previous generation cards do resulting in their normal operation being mistakenly identified as a fail condition.

OTOH at least one cheaper PSU vendor's "fix" for the issue was just to put capacitors in replacement GPU cables (RMA service and new retail models) to smooth surges a bit; which stopped the OCP from tripping. Unfortunately it also revealed that the previous behavior was aligned with the maximum that the PSU could handle while maintaining good voltage regulation, and while IIRC not out of spec the 12v rail had a lot lot more voltage fluctuation while running a 3xxx card. So, while you might be able to keep your 850 with aftermarket cables (assuming they exist) it might not be a good fix, and without an oscilloscope you won't have a good way to check.
I have an RMA unit on the way. It that doesn’t fix it I am going to get a much more powerful unit based on a non seasonic design.

IMO Seasonic is the most reliable PS on the market.

I had the same problem you described, intermittent PS shutdown followed by the need to cycle the power switch. Turned out to be the VRM heatsink on my GTX 970, one of the screws were loose. Tightened the screw and all was well.

check your 3090 VRM heatsink

Back