• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PC audio device help.

Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
3
I recently reinstalled windows, and ever since I cant get this working. Basically I have two sound cards, an M-audio which connects to my headphones, and ati graphics card which outputs sound to my receiver through hdmi. Before I installed windows when I switched to the input on my receiver for hdmi audio, my computer would default to the ati as the sound device. And when I did not have the input on my receiver selected, it defaulted to my m-audio card. This worked perfect.

But now since installing windows i have to manually change the sound device. This may not sound like a big deal, but I have others at my house that use the computer and listen to music, who are not computer literate. Basically is there anyone that can help me so that when I select the hdmi input on my receiver, my pc defaults the ati audio output again? ANd when I dont have the hdmi input selected on my receiver for the ati hdmi audio, it defaults back to my m-audio revolution.

I dont know how it just worked great before, and now i have to change sound devices manually and its driving me crazy.
 
What versions of Windows did you have before, and what version of Windows did you reinstall?
Also, which M-Audio and ATi card, and what drivers (for both cards)?
 
What?:confused: I not sure that feature exists, at least not for XP. Besides, your receiver is simply a receiver, is not capable of changing your PC settings. How you had that working before is just beyond me.

Anyways, what application is it that you mainly use the headphones for? I ask this because I might offer you an alternative solution.

You can set in the Control Panel to use your ATI card as the default device. Then, you can set all of your application to Windows Default, which will use the ATI card. Lastly, you can change the specific application you use the headphones on, for example WMP 11, to use the M-Audio. This way, you will always get audio from the ATI card, unless you launch WMP 11. This will make it even easier, since you won't even have to touch the receiver.
I use this very same configuration on my setup with an X-Fi and Realtek onboard. All audio goes to my receiver, unless I run Ventrilo, which then sends the voice chat to my headphones instead.

I mean, this is not a perfect solution, but at least is a possible alternative if you only use the headphones with specific applications. Good luck.
 
LoL, I think your right.

I asked on the ati/amd forum and the admin said this does not exist, you have to switch it manually.

I have no idea what I did, I went through my backup files to look for automation/macro programs I may have installed. I never seen one running, but I noticed many have a hide option. Somehow I think I made a script launcher to switch it automatically.

I have no idea how I accomplished this either. It sure worked great, but I have been going through countless programs and this is not even possible with the programs I tried. I noticed all of them downloaded in my back up were downloaded last year.

I still have no idea, im trying another solution now to do this by having my remote send a hotkey to my computer when I select that input.
 
i think the hdmi interface needs to have both sides negotiate a connection, so probably when you turned the receiver's hdmi input off, your ati card could not establish a connection, and it automatically turned it's output off after a timeout or something?

also, maybe check if your sound settings has "use preferred devices only" checked? if this is on, it maybe prevent the OS from switching to the m-audio interface when the hdmi fails?
 
Back
Top