PC and Mac Wireless AP

Linuxtim

Limp Gawd
Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has setup a wireless AP for both a PC and Mac? I'm looking at having a home lan just for sharing files/running a proxy server so all machines can acces the lan and surf the net at the same time (over dialup too so it's gonna be slooooow - no dsl in our area yet :-(

Apple do offer an Airport product but it very costly and I don't need the modem router <?> that the Airport product has.

Setup will hopefully be:

2 PC's (connected via ethernet hub) - one with a modem running proxy server software - this all works fine. :)

802.11g AP - not bought yet

Laptop running XP home with Belkin 802.11g card (just bought)

Mac running OS X (10.2 I think) - no wireless card bought yet.

So if anyone has any advice, anything they found when doing this type of setup then please post. If it's a case of "it will just work with stock parts" then please post also and I'll feel stupid for 5 minutes

Thanks in advance.

L

Most any AP should do you for both PCs and Macs, that's the great think about standards. I have a Netgear MR814 (802.11b) wireless AP/router/switch that my PC, my roommate's iMac, and my other roommate's Powerbook all access the internet through. After a little Googling, I can share files and a printer that is connected to the PC just fine. The only quirk was that the Powerbook couldn't use VPN wirelessly, but I'm not sure if the fault is with the access point or the VPN software or what.

Your setup, however, is a little different. My setup goes phone jack -> DSL modem -> wireless router/AP/switch -> computer 1, 2, etc. You could do something similar, but you'd have to get something like the Apple Airport that has a built-in dialup modem, as more wireless router/APs are cable/DSL only. Then you could go phone jack -> Airport -> computer 1, 2, etc.

Another way is to just add a wireless AP to your hub. Your PC would act as the router, so you'd want to turn off any routing functions that the AP unit might have. If you did this, what I said above about any AP being fine is true... Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, whatever.

Yeah - wireless AP straight into the hub, proxy server software on the machine that has net access and the other machines should just get net access via the proxy software no matter where they are on the network.

Thanks, now to find a cheap 54g AP...

Back