Password Testing Utility?

StarTrek4U

Gawd
Where I work we use a nifty piece of software called keepass (keepass.sourceforge.net) which is a great little app used to securely house usernames and passwords. The only problem with this app is that there is no way to enforce any type of strong password for the databases which are created, so for all I know the other admin could put all the system passwords in a database that requires a password of "mom" to get into. What I'm looking for is a way to try to "crack" some of these databases with some type of program but I'm not really sure where to go. KeePass just creates a single flat file as the password database, I've looked at something like l0pht crack but I can't seem to get it to try to break a password.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try?

first off that doesn't sound like a very good system...

if you are going to put all your eggs in one basket you ought to make sure the basket is made of about 10" of bullet proof steel or something...

and i think what your effectively asking for advise on (i.e. how to hack a system) will be frowned upon in this here forum...

You need a password auditing tool. I use a prog called LC5. Basically it will brute force your passwords until it cracks them...gives you a good idea how secure you really are.

The company who made it has been bought by symantec but i'm sure you can still find it online.

Heres a news blurb about it: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/45256/45256.html

edit: sorry it looks like this is the prog you were referring to...but when I used it, it did break ally my passwords so I don't know why it wouldnt work for you..

LC5 is lophtcrack 5 btw.
Not sure what LC5 would bring up under google so thought that might help you :)

Back