Password Stealers and Invisible Ads

Dramamine

n00b
it seems i've garnered some spyware on this bessie. she's been clean as
long as i can remember so i'm not sure what brought it about. anyway,
it has the tell-tale signs: random pop-ups when no browser is open. and the
worst is in the middle of the night, with no other programs open, i'll hear
"congratulations! you've won a free laptop computer!" every half hour or so...
aside from this being creepy and annoying, it's slowing down my PC's performance.
i posted on another forum and was told this:

"You have a big "uh oh" there. This entry : O2 - BHO: solution Class - {99C6D1BB-7555-474C-91DA-D8FB62A9CC75} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dFmpbAQb.dll Is a password stealer, so you're compromised there. Safest thing for you to do is to reformat and reinstall, then change ALL your passwords and keep an eye on any accounts you might have for nefarious activity. I hate to say that, but it's the only way I can promise you a safe system again. :("

I fixed/deleted the BHO using Hijackthis...Do I really have to reformat and reinstall? If I change my passwords without doing this first, will the new ones just get stolen? Just wanted a second opinion. Peace.

Reformatting and reinstalling is rarely necessary - it's just the easy solution. If the malicious files are gone, then you are good.

Reformatting and reloading will be safer in the long run. Pain in the ass, yes.

Just ask yourself if you trust Hijack this totally removing that " password stealer, adware" ?

I personally would not risk it, but that's me. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

I don't think reformatting should be considered "the easy solution". Even if you removed the BHO there is no way to truly know if the exploits are gone. Reformat and reinstall is easy but it also gives you peice of mind too that anything malicious is gone.

Download Counterspy and update it, run and see what it comes up with. It's free to use for 15 days and will remove anything it finds. Awesome Prog. I would also give a scan after with Spyware Doctor just to check the results. If it's clean then just uninstall Spyware Doctor since it's not free at all. I would then use Avira antivirus as a permanent means of protection. Change important account passwords and be done with it. Reinstalls are the most secure way of getting rid of spyware but it's not always needed. I doubt this a high level spyware that calls for a reinstall.

However a reinstall is the only way to be 100% sure it's gone.

I wouldn't format and reinstall, there are tools out there now, free even, that do a good job at cleaning/removing. A few hours of scans require just some of your time (you can walk away in during scans).

CCleaner
TCP/Winsock repair utility

MalwareBytes
SuperAntispyware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Update all..run scan, clean, remove.

Scan with AntiVir free antivirus.

Hitting the combo of the above good tools, will give you peace of mind.

I wouldn't format and reinstall, there are tools out there now, free even, that do a good job at cleaning/removing. A few hours of scans require just some of your time (you can walk away in during scans).

CCleaner
TCP/Winsock repair utility

MalwareBytes
SuperAntispyware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Update all..run scan, clean, remove.

Scan with AntiVir free antivirus.

Hitting the combo of the above good tools, will give you peace of mind.

Those are good basic always use programs(Not disputing) but I've showed my colleagues numerous times now that CounterSpy will a lot of the time find more spyware after those programs have run and deleted everything they found. I actually won them over by doing repeated tests on student laptops at the local college that are brought in infected as hell. They're now converted non-believers. My personal opinion is that you should have at least one paid for anti-spyware prog while still using all the free anti-spyware programs available. To me, Counterspy is the top antispyware program with Spyware Doctor and Spyware Sweeper in second. Super Antispyware is third(Best Free one). I recommend Counterspy since it's the best heavy hitter and it is 100% functional for 15 days. It's worth the purchase though in my book... (or torrent)

Just for a simple reference that I believe to be some what accurate.
http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/

Also, always immunize your new builds and existing systems with Spybots immunization.

Back