password protecting a cd-rw

wayne

2[H]4U
can it be done? how?

two simple questions, just want to know because a friend of mine is designing something new and its supposedly very important so he wants to keep his files locked up and safe but also very transportable between his home and workplace

why not compress the files and add password protection? both winrar and winzip allow for this.

to answer your question, a cd-rw cannot be password locked.

darkpark said:
why not compress the files and add password protection? both winrar and winzip allow for this.

to answer your question, a cd-rw cannot be password locked.
Agreed, except just WinRAR and...not Winzip. Blech to Winzip :)

the plextor drives have a secure-rec program that's used to encrypt a CD-rom.

I havent used it, it only works with plextor brand drives, though.

I'd just as well zip/rar and password protect the files there. I think it may be simpler.

zip/ rar password protection can be hacked easily.

I would recommend using PGP or similar to encrypt the files. Use a strong passphrase, should be a little more effective.

Retardo said:
how would you do this? lol :confused:

I believe answering that would cause this thread to be dead quite quickly. Suffice it to say, password protecting a zip/rar is probably not what most would consider "secure". If however you're just trying to keep your kid sister out of your pr0n collection, it may serve you well.

Ya, WinRAR really is the best way to do this, just make sure you toggle the "Encrypt File Names" on the Advanced > Set Password tab. Why this isn't default, I don't know, but if you fail to set it, then people can freely see file names/types/sizes, even though they can't open it without a password. If it is set, not having the password won't get them anything.

M11 said:
Ya, WinRAR really is the best way to do this, just make sure you toggle the "Encrypt File Names" on the Advanced > Set Password tab. Why this isn't default, I don't know, but if you fail to set it, then people can freely see file names/types/sizes, even though they can't open it without a password. If it is set, not having the password won't get them anything.
It won't get them anything for the first 5 minutes.

I second the vote for PGP. All of my personal data, Quicken stuff, tax returns, scans of personal documents, etc. are kept on a PGP encrypted external hard drive. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Back