PartitionMagic Crash: Please Help!

I am using Windows XP Professional and I have two physical PATA hard drives on separate channels:

-80 GB WD 7200RPM w/8MB cache, this is for my OS and programs.
-120 GB Seagate 7200.7 w/8MB cache, this is for data and backup.

Currently the WD is partitioned into C: and D: drives, and the Seagate is one big partition as drive E:. Recently I've noticed that my WD makes annoying high-pitched sounds, so I decided to try to migrate everything over to the Seagate and ditch the WD. Since the Seagate is only one partition, I opened up PartitionMagic 8.0 to resize it into 1 40 GB partition for the OS and programs, and 1 80 GB partition for data and backup.

Now, in PartitionMagic I selected the Seagate, went to Resize/Move, and changed the current size of the E: partition to 40 GB, which created an excess unpartitioned space of 80 GB. Then I clicked on the unpartitioned space and created a logical NTFS partition. At this point I had simply told the program what to do: PartitionMagic had queued these tasks but wouldn't execute them until I clicked on "apply." So I clicked on apply, and immediately the program executed the first step (resizing the E: partition) in Windows. It got to 31% before the progress stopped dead, and I couldn't detect any hard drive activity. I waited for awhile, then left the computer for 15 minutes, then came back and it was still exactly the same.I repeatedly tried to click on the "Cancel" button but the program wouldn't respond at all. So, perhaps stupidly, I opened up the Task Manager and killed the PMagic.exe process.

I then opened PartitionMagic again, and it detected the Seagate but basically displayed some garbled data and treated it like it was one big 120 GB unformatted partition with no data on it. I went into Explorer and the E: drive was no longer detected, which is disconcerting to say the least since I have some important data on the drive. The device manager still listed the physical drive and reported it as working properly. I then rebooted the computer with the Rescue Disks that PartitionMagic creates when you first install it, but these were no help since all they let me do is access the program in DOS. I guess this is in case your entire system gets wiped out and you need to repartition, but there were no data recovery tools as far as I could tell.

Anyway, not knowing what to do at this point, I rebooted the computer back into XP. As it was booting up, the pale blue pre-login screen popped up and performed CHKDSK on the E: partition. It detected the volume label (STORAGE) and then ran through a bunch of steps pretty quickly, I saw something to the effect of "correcting MFT" and a few other things. I was hopeful, but when I got into Windows and ran Explorer it still didn't see my E: drive. However, when I went into PartitionMagic it once again listed the Seagate as having 1 NTFS partition with about 30 GB of data, which is correct and exactly how it looked before I tried to resize it. Moreover, when I right-click on the partition and select "Check for Errors" it doesn't find any.

Thus, my tentative conclusion is that my data is intact but that there is something wrong with the MFT. Does anyone know of any tools that might help to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

I think the drives have to be Primary Partitions and not Hidden rather than logical partitions (I've used PM8 a few times and only ever use Primary Partitions; also Windows Explorer won't show a drive if it's set to hidden).

However I'm not certain on these things, hopefully someone with a little more experience can help you get your data back :).

Back