Greetings,

Our old network is like this:

company.com

With forest domains beneath it:

asia.company.com
europe.company.com
carribean.company.com
southamerica.company.com

However, our carribean.company.com forest is having an issue connecting to the company.com international file share. We have a server on company.com domain with a file share that is accessible by all our overseas divisions (one place for everyone world-wide). All our other forests (europe, asia, southamerica) have no problems.

From any server or machine on the carribean.company.com domain, we can successfully resolve and ping the domain controller at company.com that acts as the master synchronization server. When we browse to \\internationalfileserver to try get a listing of all file shares and possible printers, it gives us a logon prompt. This isn't right! If we do the same thing from asia, europe, or southamerica it won't ask for authentication (authenticates as location.company.com\whateveruserimloggedinto).

From both the file server and domain controller at company.com, I can browse to \\oneoftheservers.carribean.company.com and \\oneoftheservers.carribean.company.com\C$ no problem!

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: If from the DC at carribean.company.com I do 'Change Domain' in AD Users & Computers and try to change to the parent company.com domain, it gives me an error message "The domain company.com could not be found because: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

This is not normal -- from our other divisions we are able to get past this and at the very least get it to show "Saved Queries" and "company.com" (instead of <location>.company.com) and expand it to get a listing of OUs (if not a message about not having permissions to view the listing -- that's fine and okay; each location has its own admin account, instead of having the same account being used for all locations). I'm providing this because it might be super significant information in someone giving advice of what to do or where to look.

From the DC at the parent company.com domain, I am able 'Change Domain' to carribean.company.com successfully, but I am unable to 'Change Domain Controller' to any of the DCs at the other locations (not just carribean, but asia, europe, and southamerica as well -- prolly normal the way that this old network infrastructure was setup X_x old staff no longer works here).

Last edited:
Back