"Paperless" Office - App for Organization?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Basically, a client wants to go paperless. He already has a high end xerox copier that is not fully setup yet but I researched it and it'll work just fine with OCR in Acrobat Pro 9.

However, I need a solution to organize/categorize the PDF files into a library, or put them under a Client's name. Is there any solution at reasonable cost or will I have to use folders? :D

Thanks!

What primary LOB app does this organization run on? Reason I ask is many LOB apps have supported 3rd party plugins for this sort of thing, such as "PaperSave" for Blackbaud.

What exactly is LOB? I googled and did not fully understand.

He is a very small accounting firm, consisting of just 4-5 people. They use mostly accounting software like Quicken and some other higher end apps I have never heard of for accounting purposes. Pretty basic overall though.

Line of Business Application. It's a common term in IT that refers to a businesses primary software package that it runs off of.

Accounting firms typically live off of such apps as CCH Tax and Accounting/ProFX, Thompson Reuters Creative Solutions, etc.

For one of my accounting clients that does site management/payroll for several nationwide franchises...they were adding a storage cabinet per month in their office due to paper. They put in a Canon electronic filing cabinet solution, runs on SQL Server. The one they purchased ran about 16 grand...but Canon has quite a few smaller ones.

DocStar, Paperhost for most businesses

For tax accounting FileCabinet CS is good.

There are a ton of paperless solutions, these are just a few of the popular ones I have one client that puts everything in Lotus Notes even

Don't bother with that rubbish. If there are only 4-5 people in the group just set up a shared drive with various folders. Folders are way easier to deal with than some kind of file organization program.

Don't bother with that rubbish. If there are only 4-5 people in the group just set up a shared drive with various folders. Folders are way easier to deal with than some kind of file organization program.

Not true, i have a small CPA office with 3 people using FileCabinet CS and they love it. It is much more than just document management. its a CYA application

Absolutely not true. Electronic Filing Cabinet products have a way of organizing documents according to clients/accounts, tying in a trail with everything. Over time ends up with a nice journal/history.
Can't even get remotely close to such as thing by attempting to organize folders and sub folders, no matter how well you try to organize that. With File Cabinet solutions, huge time saver when you have to look back for something on a client...not to mention everything done with a client is documented over time.

I'll chime in. I'm an ex-Solutions Analyst for IKON. My job entailed learning, analyzing and implementing/selling Electronic Document Management solutions for customers.
There are a few options the your client could chose if it were me giving advice.
1. Call a company like IKON who specializes in this type of thing. They're nation-wide and have about 130 EDM solutions (last time I checked). A DocSend is a great solution and only costs about $2500 (without labor/config).
2. Check out eCopy.com and look at their scan-stations. IKON installs these as well.

These are the easiest to learn and cheapest solutions for your customer.

Either eCopy or DocSend has different plug-ins or modules that open up functionality with certain popular financial, legal and medical software.
The great thing about IKON is they design a specific solution for your work-flow.
I hate to sound like a pitch-man, but honestly; I saw so many customer's that wasted thousands of dollars on over-priced solutions that had to be modified to fit the work-flow. And even then, it never worked properly.
Because of their diverse EDM knowledge and different partners, IKON designs a solution to fit your workflow and customizes from there. They have people who come in and even give you a cost-savings guarantee on certain products.
I can't stress enough not to jump on the DocStar train... I've heard and seen so many displeased customers. Of course that was 15 months ago... Perhaps newer versions are better... and cheaper.

Either way, the Copier at your customer's site must have certain software installed on the machine to make even scanning to a PDF possible. (I'm assuming it came standard with that model). But they'll be hard pressed to create search-able PDF's with robust full page OCR.
I hope I don't get banned sounding like a fanboy/marketing guy. I don't work for them anymore, but was blown away by the EDM world through IKON-colored glasses. (I still miss it).

Good luck!

Not true, i have a small CPA office with 3 people using FileCabinet CS and they love it. It is much more than just document management. its a CYA application

From browsing on their site... this product looks fantastic. Going to give the trial a shot. I could not find pricing anywhere on there website, how much is it?

From browsing on their site... this product looks fantastic. Going to give the trial a shot. I could not find pricing anywhere on there website, how much is it?

I don't recall, i believe its very resonable. This was one of the clients that said, hey we bought this. Normally i roll my eyes when that happens and they don't consult me. But i agree with their purchase, it was easy to install, scanning is great.

Back