• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P5K Overcloking problem, few second freeze

Amrit

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
27
Hey guys I have a problem overclocking.

Basically when I clock it to over 3.0ghz i get random freezes for like 3 seconds every min or so. I cannot pinpoint it to what it is. Mem test says my memory is fine.
I have the following setup:

CPU: E6600 Stock @ 2.4ghz
Mobo: P5K Deluxe Wifi
Memory: 2x1Gb Crucial Ballistix @ 4-4-4-12 timings (on 2.2volts)
Gfx: BFG 8800GTX OC2
HS: Thermal Take Ultra 120 with Scyth S-flex and Antec fan
PSU:HX620w

My temps are fine (idle 28-30 and lod 55ish) when overclocked to 3.3ghz. My voltages are fine, cpu voltage is auto in bios and pc probe, cpu-z and hardware monitor by cpuz people says it is at 1.45v.
Orthos is fine too, I run it in safe mode and I still get the freezes so I can understand what it is that’s wrong.
My bios revision is 0404.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve or a idea on what the cause of the problem is?

Thanks
Amrit
 
Oh and bios settings:
AI Overclocking Manual
CPU Ratio Auto
FSB Strap To North Bridge Auto
FSB Frequency 365
PCIE Frequency 100
DRAM Frequency 730
DRAM Command Rate 2T
DRAM TIMING CONTROL MANUAL
Cas# Latency 4Dram
Ras # To CAS # 4Dram
Ras# precharge 4Dram
Ras# active time 12Dram
RTRD AUTO
RRCT AUTO
RRCT AUTO
WRT AUTO
WTRD AUTO
RTPT AUTO
Dram Static Read AUTO
Transaction Booster Disabled
CLOCK overcharging mode AUTO
CPU SPREAD SPECTRUM Disabled
PCIE SPREAD SPECTRUM Disabled

CPU Voltage Auto
CPU Voltage Reference Auto
CPU Voltage Damper Enabled
CPU PLL AUTO
DRAM Voltage 2.2V
FSB Termination Auto
NorthBridge Voltage Auto
NorthBridge Voltage Reference Auto
 
So, just so I understand about every 3 minutes it locks up but then resumes and everything is fine again for a few minutes? And this doesn't happen at stock settings?
 
nah it randomly freezes for 3 seconds.

Its happened at stock once before but never after that time at stock speeds.

I been told by soemone on another forum to try chaginging the sata cables around from a P5K one to one that didnt come with the P5K. So far it aint freezing up been about 2 hours now. Fingers crossed this solved the problem.
 
Hey everyone just wanted to update you all.
Looks like Clunks advice from Clunk.org on changing SATA cables around WORKED!!!
So far no freezing and I restarted several time during this time to make sure it wasn’t due to the OC.
While changing the cables around and messing about it also lead me to realise my airflow wasn’t good in the case. Normally with the 3.3 GHz OC I was idling around 30 degrees Celsius and using TAT to put 100% load on the cores it was hitting 60 degrees Celsius. This was with all 5 fans in my case (4 Tricool's and 1 Scythe S-Flex) at HIGH and a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme!!!(Yes it was a noisy beast lol!). Well when I took the case off I notice a drop in temprature of 10 degrees!! So I turned my top exhaust fan of the P182 to intake air and now, at 3.3 GHz, my temps are idling 25 degrees with all the fans in the case set to medium (20 with everythign on high)! It’s so quiet and cool now!! On load it’s around 50 degrees Celsius!!
Thanks for all your help!
 
Back
Top