Limp Gawd
just got my system working:

intel 560 3.6ghz
ocz powerstream 520
asus p5ad2 premium
asus eaxx800xt
kingston pc2-4300 2x1gb
2xraptor 74gbs

all worked absolutely fine (apart from the catalyst control panel not working) ive been happily using it, and while i was checking my mail it just shut off like a power failure, turned it on and got "system fail cpu test" :(

called asus and they said its most likely the motherboard and not the cpu.

im taking it back to the store tomorrow as they will test the processor and motherboard.

i hadn't done any overclocking of any kind, i wanted to run a stable system for a few weeks before i started playing.

*sighs*

back to my shabby geforce 5200 on my laptop :(

damn got a new processor and new motherboard and it still wont boot saying system fail cpu test :(

and now ive got ANOTHER new motherboard, this time a gigabyte, and still the same problem, it thinks the CPU is dead :(

this is the second intel cpu ive tried with it, when i got the second cpu i was so careful, discharged any static that might have been on me etc.. what are the chances of two faulty processors... argh im going nuts here i should have just bought one from alienware or dell :(

freecableguy said:

tried it without the kingston 533 ddr2 in and still the same, from the looks of the manual it checks cpu before it gets to memory/graphics card so the only components it could have been were cpu/mobo or psu. i seriously doubt it was the psu as all the rails showed green lights indicating correct output voltages.

i now have a pci express x800 xt i cant do anything with and will sell at a good price if anyone is interested, same for the 2x 1gb memory ddr2 533. :(

Hey, before you sell everything figure out the problem and fix it. It can only be a number of things. Check the PSU, then re-check correct placement of CPU and memory. Don't just give up. The answer is out there.

same MoBo

After a bad flash, I've the same message "system failed CPU test"
Asus tested my mobo : reflash the bios , use another CPU
It's still going wrong, they now have to change something on the motherboard (I've to wait at least one week)

I think you do not have the choice : it's also your mobo (bad luck)

ok well i tried it with my 5 yr old 300w fortron power supply just to see if it would make a difference, i really should have done this sooner as with the fortron supply it started fine and works perfectly........

:/ damn a lot of wasted time. looks like the OCZ powersupply that was reviewed and rated so highly is faulty... !

well anyway.. system is up and running and im getting 52fps out of doom3 at 1600x1200 with no AA. 4xAA kicks me down to 28fps though.. sucks!

what sucks more is i replaced the 3.6ghz processor for the only other one they had in stock - a 2.8... looks like they accepted back a fully working processor, shame they couldnt test it before they swapped it.

rant over.

Cric said:
same MoBo

After a bad flash, I've the same message "system failed CPU test"
Asus tested my mobo : reflash the bios , use another CPU
It's still going wrong, they now have to change something on the motherboard (I've to wait at least one week)

I think you do not have the choice : it's also your mobo (bad luck)

ive heard lots of complaints about asus boards, and lots of praise, seems when they work, they work well. what i do know is their customer support is awful. i emailed them over a week ago and two days later got a "your unanswered email has been escalated and marked urgent", that was like 5 days ago, still nothing. i called and the guy on the other end of the phone just said, faulty board, take it back to manufacturor.

i feel stupid for not testing a different power supply though

Abit's the same way. I have never had good things to say about them. Yet for others they seem to work well, or fail hard.

As far as the orignal posters comments, I'd take that Gigacrap back and get another Asus. I know your first Asus board got returned, but it probably wasn't your board.

Asus>Gigabyte

Back