P4 3.0e on a prometeia mach II. How fast?

sunama

Weaksauce
hi,

i have the opportunity to buy a prometeia supercooling unit for a good price.

i would be using a p4 3.0e.
i would be running 24/7 and need 100% reliability.
i wanted to know what speed should i expect from this cpu?

ps. i havent bought the cpu, mobo, ram or prommie...yet.

all i know is using a prommie on a 2600+ athlon-xp pretty much every time gets you at least 3 ghtz and the highest i have seen is 3.5 ghtz.. all with 250 mhtz fsb.. its quite impressive on those cpus

on sandra my cpu already matches a 3.6 ghtz prescott at 2.5 ghtz... maybe a better buy would be a 2600+ and a good overclocking mobo.. unless you can guarentee yourself somthing like 4.2 ghtz

i dont really know how prescotts scale... and what there limits are... all i know about is a fair ammount about northwoods and most of the athlons

ryuji said:
maybe a better buy would be a 2600+ and a good overclocking mobo.. unless you can guarentee yourself somthing like 4.2 ghtz

ive already decided on an intel system. i need the hyperthreading capabilites so that i can run on my desktop smoothly. no matter how fast a non HT cpu is, it will always stutter when heavy multitasking on the desktop. the intel is slower, but smoother.

were it not for HT, i would definitely buy amd.

i never have multitasking problems... my friend went on and on about ht and i tried his system.. i cant tell a difference at all... it must be marginal at best.... he even broke down and got a fx-53.. doesnt miss his 4 ghtz northwood at all

i say use the money you save to get a 6800 GT
<edit>oh, prescotts are much cheeper nowdays... i was expecting like $300 or $400 for a 3.0E</edit>

ryuji said:
i never have multitasking problems... my friend went on and on about ht and i tried his system.. i cant tell a difference at all... it must be marginal at best.... he even broke down and got a fx-53.. doesnt miss his 4 ghtz northwood at all

hehehe, ive had this discussion about HT many times over. read many posts. probably over a 100, just about HT. and that is why i made up my mind that my upgrade must include HT at any cost (i would rather have a slower pc in benchmarks and HT, than the other way round).

so, any ideas of what i can expect from a 3.0e and a prommie unit. i ask this cuz im trying to see whether the extra cost of the prommie is worth the extra mhz that i gain. from my own calculations i think i should be able to get an extra 250 mhz (over my current watercooling system, watercooling should give me about 3.8ghz, prommie should give about 4.05ghz).

You should be able to hit 4ghz. from what I've seen all of them can do that if you have good cooling........I haven't seen any fail that......

ok then it seems that my original assumption was correct. around the 4-4.1ghz mark.

thanx.

any more opinons are welcome.

sunama said:
ok then it seems that my original assumption was correct. around the 4-4.1ghz mark.

thanx.

any more opinons are welcome.

That's about what I was gonna say also, but it largely depends on what stepping you end up with on your 3.0E. The processer in general should be capable of a 4GHz clock speed with the Prommy, but if you get a dud or a bad stepping you could still fall quite short. I'm picking up a 3.2E with the amazing SL7KC stepping in the next little while, these things hit 3.6GHz or so, most often with the stock Intel cooler and very little voltage work, so when I strap it into my water cooling I'm gonna be goin' for 4-4.2GHz, but only because of the nice stepping.

Hope the chip doesn't fall through, but if you end up with a chip that's even half decent you should be able to hit that 4GHz mark no prob with the MachII.

Again though, don't expect anything out of the processor, it'll only get your hopes up, and make it that much worse if it falls through. We can tell you what teh cpu is capable of in general, but just don't get your hopes up....as I have in the past, and it makes it that much worse if the OC doesn't come through the way you wanted it to.

You should be able to hit 4ghz. from what I've seen all of them can do that if you have good cooling........I haven't seen any fail that......

Then you don't look around enough, cus plenty OC for $hit....it's completely up in the air if it's gonna make it that far or not. I don't wanna come down on you, but giving a person bad info like "all of them can do that if you have good cooling" and "I haven't seen any that fail" just gets their hopes up, which is one of the worst things you can do when you're overclocking.

sunama said:
hehehe, ive had this discussion about HT many times over. read many posts. probably over a 100, just about HT. and that is why i made up my mind that my upgrade must include HT at any cost (i would rather have a slower pc in benchmarks and HT, than the other way round).

I was in the same situation, and I don't regret it in any way. Good luck :)

I Have to say my P4 2.8 Ghz Hit's 3.5 With no problems what so ever (1 Ghz FSB) and that's on stock cooling with no overvolt. I have put a North bridge Cooler on it tho.

Saying that I only hit around 30c 35 Load at that OC but my Crappy memory is holding me back. with Decent ram I can Easily get 3.6ghz.

So to Answer if you get anything like my OC you will be running easily over 4 Ghz.

I have to point out tho it's important to have GOOD Case cooling. your North bridge temprature is gonna be your biggest problem and where you should be focusing some major cooling in that.

Talonz said:
I was in the same situation, and I don't regret it in any way. Good luck :)

I was/am in the same position, and I'm every bit just as happy with my decision. I don't game enough to really care about the upper hand that AMD is holding in that area right now when my 3.7GHz+ P4 still plays everythign just fine when you really think about it. ;)

I don't care what any anti-HT ppl out there say, everyday multitasking on an A64 just doesnt feel as fluid as it does on a P4 with HT. It might be due to personal preference and what someone is used to, but I'd rather have the computer feel snappier and more fluid during everyday use then in games, as that's how I spend MOST of my time on the comp.

jnex26 said:
I Have to say my P4 2.8 Ghz Hit's 3.5 With no problems what so ever (1 Ghz FSB) and that's on stock cooling with no overvolt. I have put a North bridge Cooler on it tho.

Saying that I only hit around 30c 35 Load at that OC but my Crappy memory is holding me back. with Decent ram I can Easily get 3.6ghz.

So to Answer if you get anything like my OC you will be running easily over 4 Ghz.

I have to point out tho it's important to have GOOD Case cooling. your North bridge temprature is gonna be your biggest problem and where you should be focusing some major cooling in that.

What kind of voltage are you running on your DFI's NB? whether your board is the same revision as mine or not, we both have/had the same factory NB cooler. I have noticed that when I have the system overclocked with 1.7v on the NB it does get decently warm, and when I was maxing out my 2.8C at 3.9GHz I had the NB at 1.8v and it got very hot. What specific gains did you see after adding the cooler. I have had NB's this hot before and not really needed active cooling, but jsut wondering as we have basically the same processor/mobo setup.

You really can't compare our 2.8C's to his 3.0E bro, but I know what you meant....just shouldn't sound so suggestive when the CPU's are nothing alike.

I don't really agree with what you're saying about the NB temperature being that important....as it almost NEVER is with me, I've had systems like this overclocked before and never once had to worry about NB temps. I might try rigging up a fan on the NB to see if it helps things at all just out of curiosity.....but the NB temp isn't typically as critical as you're making it sound.

sunama said:
hi,

i have the opportunity to buy a prometeia supercooling unit for a good price.

i would be using a p4 3.0e.
i would be running 24/7 and need 100% reliability.
i wanted to know what speed should i expect from this cpu?

ps. i havent bought the cpu, mobo, ram or prommie...yet.
Imho, you'll need a few components to sucsessfully oc y/ 3.0.....
1. PQI 3200 Ultra w/ 2-2-2-5 Samsung TCCD
2. PSU--Enermax 660W or PCP&C 510DLX Express.
3. Mobo with high voltage sets.

centvalny said:
Imho, you'll need a few components to sucsessfully oc y/ 3.0.....
1. PQI 3200 Ultra w/ 2-2-2-5 Samsung TCCD
2. PSU--Enermax 660W or PCP&C 510DLX Express.
3. Mobo with high voltage sets.

I would obviously recommend the PCP&C 510DLX, but not sure why you've thrown the Enermax in there.....the only thing I'd use in replacement of the PCP&C is the 520W OCZ Powerstream, which is quite possibly the most flexible/stable/user friendly PSU I've ever seen. That is of course, except for PCP&C.....but the adjustable rails on the OCZ are still nice.

The mobo is a no brainer, but I'm curious as to why you're recommending the PQI over anything else. I know that the PQI TCCD stuff is quite nice.....but in the same light I'd be more comfortable with Some Mushkin or OCZ based on the same chips. OCZ has just come out with a new revision of the Platinum Rev2 that LOVES voltage.....and has been seen to scale up to and beyond PC4000 spec with extremely tight timings. It's gonna be kinda tricky to score some of that new Platinum OCZ because they have not yet started marking the new revision seperately from the "old" Platinum Rev2, so I'd wanna stick with Mushkin or possible some Corsair XL for the time being. Everyone will have their personal preference, and mine is with companies that I know and trust.

Just my .02

cornelious0_0 said:
I would obviously recommend the PCP&C 510DLX, but not sure why you've thrown the Enermax in there.....the only thing I'd use in replacement of the PCP&C is the 520W OCZ Powerstream, which is quite possibly the most flexible/stable/user friendly PSU I've ever seen. That is of course, except for PCP&C.....but the adjustable rails on the OCZ are still nice.

The mobo is a no brainer, but I'm curious as to why you're recommending the PQI over anything else. I know that the PQI TCCD stuff is quite nice.....but in the same light I'd be more comfortable with Some Mushkin or OCZ based on the same chips. OCZ has just come out with a new revision of the Platinum Rev2 that LOVES voltage.....and has been seen to scale up to and beyond PC4000 spec with extremely tight timings. It's gonna be kinda tricky to score some of that new Platinum OCZ because they have not yet started marking the new revision seperately from the "old" Platinum Rev2, so I'd wanna stick with Mushkin or possible some Corsair XL for the time being. Everyone will have their personal preference, and mine is with companies that I know and trust.

Just my .02
B/c I used enermax 660w and ran high oc with no problems. I killed 3 psus inc. Antec true 550 before this set up. For PQI, a lot of forums mentioned that this particular stick optimized f/ Intel system. I , personally ran with Gskill Tccd.
MVC-574F.JPG

centvalny said:
B/c I used enermax 660w and ran high oc with no problems. I killed 3 psus inc. Antec true 550 before this set up. For PQI, a lot of forums mentioned that this particular stick optimized f/ Intel system. I , personally ran with Gskill Tccd.

Fair enough, I wasn't going to recommend the 550W Truepower, but I'm personally sticking to the OCZ Powerstream and PCP&C 510DLX as my top 2. I'll do some reading on the PQI being Intel optimized, and if so I might have to start looking at it more seriously myself.....but we'll see. ;)

jnex26 said:

northbridge will be watercooled.

sunama said:
northbridge will be watercooled.

Good stuff, I actually didn't realise how hot mine got when I've got it at 1.7v or 1.8v when the system is overclocked......hot enough that i can't comfortably hold my finger on it. I'll be waiting till i get the Maze4 block for my XT-PE before i dismantle the setup to add the Z-Chip block.

i currently own the antec trupower 550. i really dont wanna have to buy a new psu.

will this psu seriously not be enough to get the job done? it seems that costs really are beginning to spiral.

here in the uk, ive noticed that crucial ballistix is rated as the best. (even over corsair and ocz)! so that was/is the memory that i was looking at. in terms of cost, the ram is all around similar prices - approx £95/512mb dimm.

motherboard:
"Mobo with high voltage sets."
can u recommend me some mobos that meet this criteria please. i was looking at the asus p4c800 deluxe.

sunama said:
i currently own the antec trupower 550. i really dont wanna have to buy a new psu.

will this psu seriously not be enough to get the job done? it seems that costs really are beginning to spiral.

here in the uk, ive noticed that crucial ballistix is rated as the best. (even over corsair and ocz)! so that was/is the memory that i was looking at. in terms of cost, the ram is all around similar prices - approx £95/512mb dimm.

motherboard:
"Mobo with high voltage sets."
can u recommend me some mobos that meet this criteria please. i was looking at the asus p4c800 deluxe.

I am NOT going to recommend that you get the P4C800, because of the horrible experience I had with it. When you start overclocking the cpu voltage starts to fluctuate like mad.....and I mean a LOT. It gets to the point that to compensate for the extremely low dips in the voltage you have to raise it to the point where it'll effect your temps and overclock negatively from the extra heat. There is a mod for the motherboard involving soldering to fix it, but without that mod I would not suggest the Asus for a Prommy setup that you wanna crank. An IC7-G would do alright though, no cpu voltage issues, and unless you wanna really crank the memory voltage you shouldn't have any issues with it. However, if you want something that's gonna suit your needs all around and look great too, I'm actually going to strongly recommend you look at/ask around about my DFI Lanparty 875Pro revB that I'm running right now. The vdimm does only go up to 2.9v in the BIOS, but that can be raised to 3.1v if you really think you need it with the DDR Booster. The cpu votlage regulation on the board is dead on.....and it's an amazing overclocker. My CPU is holding me back at 280FSB 1:1 with my PC4000EL in my sig, but I dont have to top out my NB voltage to get to 280FSB and i know this board still has room to go. With the memory and a nice overclocker for a cpu I wouldn't be surprised to see this DFI board of mine hit 300fsb at this rate.

The only dislike I have about the board is that it does only support 2.9v for your memory, and the extra .2v that the Booster can give you really isn't a whole lot. The board actually has over voltage protection (OVP) incorporated into it in the manner that if the vdimm ends up spiking (even for a split second) above 3.15v the system will hardlock. There is a mod to basically disable the OVP, it doesnt involve any soldering...but you do have to cut a trace on the back of the mobo, which I haven't done yet, but will be doing in the near future. You basically need to take a utility knife and make a little 2mm cut perpendicular to a certain trace line on the board, not to complicated at all.

If you have any more questions be sure to shoot me a PM, I'm here to help.....and I've owned the Abit IC7-MAX3, Asus P4C800-E DLX, Abit AI7, and this DFI Lanparty Pro.....so I've got sufficient first hand experience with each board to give you logical pro's and cons.

further to our private message:

cornelious0_0 said:
If you hadn't figured it out I really want to see you go with my DFI Lanparty 875ProB revB mobo.....it is the most complete and problem free (there aren't any) mobo right out of the box I've ever owned....and it looks great too.

Any other questions?

ive looked at some reviews of the dfi lanparty mobo. what im finding is that the reviews are not as favourable as compared with the asus p4c800e. in one review i saw that the guy couldnt overclock anywhere near what he was able to on the asus (with same cpu).

now, if i were to stay with watercooling, and im looking at say 3.0e (or c). looking to try and get around 3.7-3.9ghz. would u still advise me to go with the dfi over the asus?

what im thinking is that the cost involved in getting the prommie isnt worth the extra 250mhz that i will gain (and the extra electricity bill that i will have to deal with).

ps. i tried to do this via PM, but cornelious' inbox is full.

My 3.0c did 4gig on a Mach II. It wasnt even a good CPU, came from one of the first batches. Dated March 2003 I think. It only did 3.4 on air, 3.6 on water, and 4gig on phasechange. Ive seen some do close to 4gig on air in later versions of the chip.

sunama said:
further to our private message:

ive looked at some reviews of the dfi lanparty mobo. what im finding is that the reviews are not as favourable as compared with the asus p4c800e. in one review i saw that the guy couldnt overclock anywhere near what he was able to on the asus (with same cpu).

now, if i were to stay with watercooling, and im looking at say 3.0e (or c). looking to try and get around 3.7-3.9ghz. would u still advise me to go with the dfi over the asus?

what im thinking is that the cost involved in getting the prommie isnt worth the extra 250mhz that i will gain (and the extra electricity bill that i will have to deal with).

ps. i tried to do this via PM, but cornelious' inbox is full.

Sry bro, I was at work and it filled up....I must be popular or something. :p

I've seen what reviews are saying, but remember this, while they might have not for some reason have had any issues with teh Asus when overclocking, how high did they overclock? If they didnt have to raise the voltage much then they wouldn't have run into anything, as teh vcore droop only really occurs when you start to raise the voltage. I'd still recommend my DFI board over the P4C800, as I've owned the P4C800-E, this board, and the IC7-MAX3! and this is the only one that hasnt had any quirky votlage issues of any kind.

ok point taken.

im trying to get hold of this board. but the revision b version is proving hard to come by in uk.

i will be using crucial ballistix pc4000 ram on it. in uk, that seems to be the best ram around right now (though ocz gold pc4400 is better, but substantially more expensive).

sunama said:
ok point taken.

im trying to get hold of this board. but the revision b version is proving hard to come by in uk.

i will be using crucial ballistix pc4000 ram on it. in uk, that seems to be the best ram around right now (though ocz gold pc4400 is better, but substantially more expensive).

Keep lookin' it'll be worth your time.....trust me, it will. :)

Back