P4 2.6c at 3.2Ghz But I want more!

(S)lave

n00b
This is the first time I have overclocked and I feel cheated.
I know that way back when a 600Mhz OC was skipping awhole CPU but I am have been left feeling like I know I can do better.

I want more power! NO I NEED MORE POWER!:eek:

If I try to push it any more windows boots and you go to run 3dmark 2001 se and it locks up. :(

I don't see what is holding me pack.
It's not like I am having a heat problem, Or that my Memory is not able to take it.

My RIG:
ABIT IC-7-MAX3
P4 2.6c HT @ 3.2 with HT 1.55v
Areo 7 with AS3
idel temp: 36c using Winbond
Load temp: 42c using Winbond
Sys temp : 25c using Winbond
1Gb Pc4000 CORSAIR PRO 3-7-4-4 @ 1:1 with CPU
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
160 Matrox SATA
SoundBlaster Audgy 2 ZS Pro

Yeah, try upping your vcore and ram voltages and see if you can get more fsb.

I agree, put VCore up, my ram is +0.15V, even that helps to overclock just a bit ;-)

i have mine a 3.22 so thats pretty good, what kind of cooling do you have? a zalman or a swifty would do you nice if you dont like noise, otherwise a SLK947 with a 92 tornado will do you good

Originally posted by (S)lave
This is the first time I have overclocked and I feel cheated.
I know that way back when a 600Mhz OC was skipping awhole CPU but I am have been left feeling like I know I can do better.

If I try to push it any more windows boots and you go to run 3dmark 2001 se and it locks up. :(

I don't see what is holding me pack.
It's not like I am having a heat problem, Or that my Memory is not able to take it.

My RIG:
ABIT IC-7-MAX3
P4 2.6c HT @ 3.2 with HT 1.55v
Areo 7 with AS3
idel temp: 36c using Winbond
Load temp: 42c using Winbond
Sys temp : 25c using Winbond
1Gb Pc4000 CORSAIR PRO 3-7-4-4 @ 1:1 with CPU
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
160 Matrox SATA
SoundBlaster Audgy 2 ZS Pro

Make sure you are locking AGP/PCI to 66/33. Your cpu and memory are going to need more volts. 2.8v minimum for the mem and around 1.625v @ 3.25GHz for the 2.6C. 1.675v should see you towards 3.4GHz.

Try 5:4 to attain max cpu overclock. Don't make assumptions about your memory ;)

Also, when will ppl learn to post steppings/batch codes?

I see a lot of people crapping out around 3.2. Cant you just be happy that you got a 3.2Ghz processor for the price of a 2.6Ghz?!

I would have been happy if mine made it to 3.0Ghz. I just so happens that I got lucky. And it does 3.45Ghz on default voltage and will run prime95 24 hours. Up to 3.6 gotta add a little juice and it wont run prime forever.

ex:
screen3666.jpg

I have a 2.4b that runs stable at 3.25 (180Mhz fsb). starts getting unstable after 180fsb. Tried ram voltage, timings, cpu voltage, new thermal paste, etc. Seems that 180 fsb is my limit. Not sure if it's the ram though or not. I have geil pc4000 running at cas 2, 2-3-8 at 1:1 ratio. I don't have a machine to test higher fsb's on the ram so it's just a guessing game.

I'm happy with it at 3.25...an 800Mhz o/c is doing pretty goog on air cooling imo.

this is my first system built just for Oc,

abit ICG-7 max2, AGP/PCI fixed, latest BIOS
2.6C@3258Mhz, FSB 250 1:1 1.55v in BIOS,abitEQ
1GB corsair twinx XMS4000 3-7-4-4 2.8v in BIOS, 2.83 in abitEQ
rad9700 pro agp 1.55v
kingwin 450w divine power w 4 fans
160gb samsung spinpoint SATA
xp sp1
@250fsb 3dmark01 around 15k, 03 around 5k

my problem is I cant break 250fsb, upping to 253 or 255 (or higher, tried up to 270) give:
a. no POST
b. POST, no OS boot
C. POST, load OS, lockup or auto-reboot

I dont think temps are issue, highest CPU temp under load 66C, NB and PSU stay within limits, cannot improve timings (a,b, or c), upped CPU volt up to 1.675, no diff, upeed AGP voltage 1.6, no diff, bumping APG/PCI with 7:2 gave boot failure or no POSt, chging divider 5:4 or 3:2 and cant get POSt, dropped down to 200fsb in 5:4, no go, GAT all auto, at 250fsb can prime95 all day long w/ no errors, if boot into xp @ 253 prime fails within minutes

I think issue is RAM, probably vdimm deprived or could the XMS be topping out? I was torn between reg XMS and pro, but I believe both use the same hynix IC. the 700Mhz OC is nice but I can see others with much less expensive RAM going well beyond 250, RAM detected in CPU-z as PC3700.

maybe could be a PSU issue? +5v right on, +3.3v @ 3.33/34, beginning to wish I'd gotten a good antec, this kingwin cost a fortune, I was enticed by all those fans for more airflow.

any questions or suggestions? I think I can get quite a bit more, afraid vdimm volt mod is needed to push RAM harder.

I think you've just maxed out your cpu. Prime95 failures are usually from clocking the cpu too high or not having enough vcore. To just make sure it's not your memory, try running it at 5:4 and 4:3 and see if you can go higher.

Your vdimm voltages seem fine and your rails are fine, it's probobly because of your motherboard that they aren't dead on perfect (I wouldn't worry about a .01-.1 difference on the 3.3 either).

Still, a 600mhz overclock is pretty damn impressive, I wish I could get that with my P4.

Do not mess with your agp voltage and pci/agp speeds either. Does no good and will only cause instability and/or damage your cards.

Originally posted by (S)lave

I feel your pain :D

what kind of PSU do you have?

try your memory timings at 3-8-4-4
2.8v at least for DDR voltage.

Also have tried raising the AGP voltage? It helped me When I was at 250 fsb.If that works make sure you have a good side fan on your card.

BTW nice system and O/C

Also, when will ppl learn to post steppings/batch codes?

FPO/Batch codes are pretty much meaningless. Even more so with Intel than AMD. It is luck of the draw. Be happy with what you have got out of it so far. 3.2GHz out of a 2.6 is pretty good actually without phase change or some other super cooling.

noidster

I may be optimistic, but think it may not be the CPU maxing out. I cant run in 5:4 or 3:2 @ 250, at least not stably. still leaving lax timings on RAM running considerably slower. have read on diff sites about IC7s not running asynchronous CPU/RAM settings correctly, I did use abit auto bios loader. it was quite pleasant.

Originally posted by noidster
FPO/Batch codes are pretty much meaningless. Even more so with Intel than AMD. It is luck of the draw. Be happy with what you have got out of it so far. 3.2GHz out of a 2.6 is pretty good actually without phase change or some other super cooling.

noidster

No disrespect to yourself but ppl who post this kind of nonsense really piss me off.

Originally posted by thirdeye213
I may be optimistic, but think it may not be the CPU maxing out. I cant run in 5:4 or 3:2 @ 250, at least not stably. still leaving lax timings on RAM running considerably slower. have read on diff sites about IC7s not running asynchronous CPU/RAM settings correctly, I did use abit auto bios loader. it was quite pleasant.

Its sound like the ram. Some ram high speed ram doesnt like to be run with ratios, that why I played it safe and got 3200 and just used the ratios as I went up.

Steppings matter as they make refinements with later steppings EX: most C1's maxed around 2.9-3.0+ Ghz, where most D1's max about 3.1-3.3+ Ghz. FPO/Batch numbers can increase your odds of getting a good chip, but does not guarantee it. Dates help too, the more recent, the better the chips on average do.

BUT as always you can get a lemon or a super chip, its LUCK of the draw.

I think I may not have given enough burn in time, still cant get beyond 250 but at least I can run it now @ 2.5/4/3/6, prime95 for 6 hours or so, going to give vdimm mod a shot and see how RAM perform improves with ~2.95

Back