Overriding automatic FSB detection (pIII)

ASTROdog

n00b
So there's a long backstory to this but I'll sum it up. I got a cheapie celeron 667 in a dead system from a relative that got me looking for a mobo. I got a deal on a new Acorp 6a815epd for about 35 shipped, so figured why not. The 667 was a reluctant overclocker, but I found a celeron tualatin 1.4ghz on it now (just found one for 39 and said why not). I hit the max w/o going to 133mhz fsb the other day doing 1.6 ghz with no voltage increase (through the bios fsb settings, which only let you go to 115mhz with an overclocked PCI bus to match), seemed stable, I want more.

Now the mainboard has jumpers to set FSB, wth 4 settings. 66, 100, 133, and auto. I tried it a long time ago with the celeron and it appeared to be a useless jumper (no effect), but now that I got the 1.4 celly you can step it down from 100 to 66 but not up to 133. BTW I'm using the Lin-Lin tualatin adapter, the mainboard can support coppermines but not tualatins due to the voltage. The chip is properly detected as a 1.4ghz part.

Anyone know of a way around this auto detection that I'm missing?

If you need it, the manual is here:

http://www.acorp.com.tw/download/Manual-download/intel/6a815epd/6a815epd.zip

Did this get your FSB set?

Most PIII boards autodetect the FSB, such that you have to do a pin mod on the bottom of the chip, but it appears that the adapter is taking care of that for you...

Yeah. Messing with it now. I'll probably run out of time before I have to leave for work but I'll post results when I do get a chance.

I'm running that same CPU on a Powerleap slocket w/built in VRM
on an Asus P3B-F slot 1 m/b. I have it o/c'd to 1.68 ghz (14x120 FSB) on PC100 Kingston Value Ram. Can you point me to where I could find you manual online? I might be able to help. The extra 280 Mhz helps.

I found the jumper settings for the lin-lin, they're in the post I linked to above. That was at (iirc) 5 am and it was time to get some sleep tho, haven't had time to test the settings. I'm at work now, I'll post when I get home. 1.6 ghz was nice, I will admit. 1.8 if I can pull it off will rock.

Well, as of 2am I gave up on getting this board to start. It was an ongoing problem since about 6 months ago w/ the 667, occasionally wouldn't boot, nice "your cpu is not installed" euro police car siren sound from the case speaker. Probably a damaged CPU 1 socket, and this board won't let you use CPU 2 alone. It's now 100% failure (probably from frequently pulling the hsf and cpu off to adjust voltage) and I've ordered an Asus CUV4X-V used from e-bay for cheap, I don't wanna spend a wad of cash and further delay the pyramid project.

I have seen 1.6 ghz and it was good. I had 1.8 in my grasp but I stumbled on my shoelaces :-/

Oh well. Should have the new board by the end of the week, taking out the old board and boxing up the CPU in about 5 minutes.

Back