Overhauling My Home Network

GrimR

Limp Gawd
Sorry for the long post but I'm at the point where I want to overhaul my home network instead of adding things bit by bit. Here is where I am currently at:

Main PC currently used as a file server as well as my daily use hardwired to a wired router downstairs
Wireless router (b/g) hardwired to the wired router and is sitting upstairs.
Wife's PC connected via wireless and is upstairs
Daughter's PC connected via wireless and is upstairs
XBox (chipped) hardwired to the wireless router and connected to our big screen, both upstairs, and used as a media center.

Here is my plan as I am building a new PC in March:

Old main PC being moved to a fulltime file server (I'm replacing the 7600GT with an old ATI 9600 to try and save some power). Will be hardwired to the wired router.
New PC hardwired to the wired router.
No change for the two other PCs and the XBox.

Here is what I am looking for advise on:

- The motherboard in the soon-to-be file server does not have wake on LAN so I want to by a NIC that does. Will this still allow my PC to go into standby mode when not in use or do I need to upgrade the motherboard?

- The wireless router is currently a 3 year old D-Link and the range is kind of lousy. I had to buy a new antenna for my daughter's PC as the signal strength was always low or dropping out. Would it be worth it to buy a new wireless router that has a more powerful transmitter (if there is one) and does it matter anymore if the two routers are different brands (currently a Linksys and a D-Link)? I do have to reset the wireless every month or so.

I am trying to keep the budget small as the new PC is eating a big chunk of change. Does this look good or is there a better way. I'm open to any and all suggestioins!!

EDIT: or should I just skip the server and just get a 2 drive NAS enclosure? It would have to serve various video files (wmv, divx, xvid), music and pictures. More expensive but seems to be less complicated. Just hate have a PC that I'm not using... :)

sorry to jump in on your thread

But i am looking to get a new router also. Wireless N and Gigalan would be awesome. looking over review pics now

edit:
to nail something on yours. if you get FreeNAS and use it on a Compact flash in the pc. would be uber low power and allow for many more than two drives.

I'd actually prefer to hardwire my whole house but I just don't have the time do do that. When I get a new house I need to make sure I get a jack in every room....including the garage!!! :)

I actually don't think I need the FreeNAS as the XBox can read the folders just fine. Is there an advantage of going that route?

Still have a question about this:

- The motherboard in the soon-to-be file server does not have wake on LAN so I want to buy a NIC that does. Will this still allow my PC to go into standby mode when not in use or do I need to upgrade the motherboard?

Could someone shed some light on this? I don't want to go out and pick up the NIC unless I know for sure.

Thanks!!

Back