Overclocks on a K7D Master-L

Crapola. It choked at 2.25 after about 4 hours. Back to 2100. I'll try 2160 when I get around to it.

Originally posted by pduan87
'

You never did get the extra cache enabled did you?

I did but was plaged with unexplained rebootes. Going back to 64K fixed the problem.

K7D-L (red) w/bios v1.8
MP2600+ Barton Core w/L2=512K (week 43) :(
FSB=140
Multiplier= 15x
vcore=1.60
HSF= Retail AMD (lapped) w/ArcticSilver3 thermal compound

I've had my dual Barton Core 2.0 GHz MP2600+'s up to 2.1 GHz, at the stock vcore of 1.60 volts, w/o any problems for a short time when I first built the system a week ago, just to see if it would o/c.

I'll play around w/it more in the future when I get better HSF's and a more powerful power supply.

UPDATE: I've been running my dual MP2600's, at 2.1 GHz (140 MHz x15), for over a week now, at the stock 1.60 volts, w/o any problems at all, on my MSI K7D-L.

This includes running both the DC program ClimatePrediction, as well as the game Anarchy Online. Though I do get kicked out of the game once in a while, the system hasn't crashed yet.

I can hit 138Fsb with my dual xp2400's stock cooled and stock voltage, in my K7D Master -L mobo. Only problem is i can't keep it cool enough when both cpu's are loaded @ 100%. :eek: Planning on water cooling within the next few mths, and getting some TMC's so i can play with Multi overclocking, as my pci tv card doesn't like too high a pci bus. :(

Very soon i shal be water cooling my uni cpu xp2400 dedicated folding boxen, so i will have a test bed to work out which 2 of my 3 xp2400's are the best clockers. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Originally posted by GoHack
K7D-L (red) w/bios v1.8
MP2600+ Barton Core w/L2=512K (week 43) :(
FSB=140
Multiplier= 15x
vcore=1.60

I thought only the 2800+ had 512kb of L2 cache?

I thought only the 2800+ had 512kb of L2 cache?

They are now available w/the MP2600+'s, p/n AMSN2600DUT4C.

Unfortuniately, the Barton Core version comes w/the multiplier lowered to 15x, or 2000 MHz, the same as the MP2400+'s.

The older Thoroughbred Core MP2600+'s come w/a multiplier of 16x, or 2133 MHz, which is the same as the new Barton Core MP2800+'s.

The reason I went w/the Barton Core MP2600+ is for the bigger L2 cache, which is said to help a little w/the SETI processing. If it weren't for the fact that the MP2800+'s being out of my price range, I would of gone w/them.

There's been speculation, that a 1 meg L2 cache version of the XP might come out, and if so, maybe an MP version would follow suite. This is all speculation though. It would be nice though to have the MP's break the 3000 mark, especially w/a 1 meg L2.

The Athlon's must still be a money maker for AMD, or they wouldn't of gone through the trouble of locking them. That being the case, then hopefully AMD might make a 1 meg L2 version a reality.

As for the MP's, they are still selling, because of their price vs. performance advantage they have over their Intel counterparts.

The supported MP m/b's are still being made, though the manufacturer supply line is getting smaller w/Asus dropping out. MSI, Tyan, Chaintech, and Gigabyte supported m/b's are still being made as far as I know. My K7D-L was manufactured recently, due to it's bios date of August 2, 2003.

While the memory performance of the MP m/b's is falling behind, the processing performance is keeping pace and making up for the differance. My MP2600's keep pace w/my single 3.0 GHz P4, when processing SETI. I can process two SETI clients in around 2-3 hrs, it varies, which is about the same as my P4. Actually the MP's are faster, because I'm processing two clients for every one on my P4.

Originally posted by pduan87
I'm wondering what kind of overclocks you guys have gotten on the K7D. Post your clockspeed, vcore, chip, cooling, etc.

I'm really interested because my 1700+s never seem to be able to make it over 2.0 stable...

Right now I'm running the JIUHB cores at 1.725v 15x140. 2.1ghz using SK-7's and Panaflo H1A's. MBM is reporting temps of 60 and 67 C with a case temp of 37 running two instances of folding. I dont know how long this will last...

you do realize that 65 C is the absolute MAX temp athlons are spec'd to correct?

Originally posted by FLECOM
you do realize that 65 C is the absolute MAX temp athlons are spec'd to correct?

Yea but temps on a dually are really out of the ordinary. Lots of people running their duallies at like 70-80 C, 100% stable. Weird really...

I built a pair of Duallies before switching to lower cost blades.

2 x XP1700 @ 2Ghz. 1.65v. 15 x 133

2 x XP1700 @ 2Ghz. 1.65v. 15 x 133

Still running 24/7

Thanks for the info GoHack. I sure would like two MP's above 2ghz with 1mb of L2 cache. :D

Right now I have 1.47ghz XP's in my system. Maybe if they do produce something like that, by that time I would want to upgrade my dual system.

Originally posted by GoHack
They are now available w/the MP2600+'s, p/n AMSN2600DUT4C.

Unfortuniately, the Barton Core version comes w/the multiplier lowered to 15x, or 2000 MHz, the same as the MP2400+'s.

The older Thoroughbred Core MP2600+'s come w/a multiplier of 16x, or 2133 MHz, which is the same as the new Barton Core MP2800+'s.

The reason I went w/the Barton Core MP2600+ is for the bigger L2 cache, which is said to help a little w/the SETI processing. If it weren't for the fact that the MP2800+'s being out of my price range, I would of gone w/them.

There's been speculation, that a 1 meg L2 cache version of the XP might come out, and if so, maybe an MP version would follow suite. This is all speculation though. It would be nice though to have the MP's break the 3000 mark, especially w/a 1 meg L2.

The Athlon's must still be a money maker for AMD, or they wouldn't of gone through the trouble of locking them. That being the case, then hopefully AMD might make a 1 meg L2 version a reality.

As for the MP's, they are still selling, because of their price vs. performance advantage they have over their Intel counterparts.

The supported MP m/b's are still being made, though the manufacturer supply line is getting smaller w/Asus dropping out. MSI, Tyan, Chaintech, and Gigabyte supported m/b's are still being made as far as I know. My K7D-L was manufactured recently, due to it's bios date of August 2, 2003.

While the memory performance of the MP m/b's is falling behind, the processing performance is keeping pace and making up for the differance. My MP2600's keep pace w/my single 3.0 GHz P4, when processing SETI. I can process two SETI clients in around 2-3 hrs, it varies, which is about the same as my P4. Actually the MP's are faster, because I'm processing two clients for every one on my P4.

Originally posted by FLECOM

Actually the MAX spec is 90*C on most models. Some top around 85*C and some 95*C. 65*C is indeed high but as he said, we don't have problems with them at those temps so it makes you wonder if it is actually running THAT hot externally.

Back