• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking i7 920 on Intel DX58SO ?

~ever~

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 6, 2000
Messages
2,266
So I been out of the overclocking scene.
I built this system a long time ago but I never wanted to explore overclocking it. Now I got to that point but I wanted peoples help.

I have overclocked it by upping the FSB and in the BIOS it does show me the overclocked speed but when I go into Windows and run CPU-Z, it shows very low multipliers and of course LOW speeds.....

So what am I doing wrong ? am I supposed to lock the multiplier in the BIOS instead of leaving it Auto ?
 
Are you putting any kind of load on the processor when you look at CPU-Z? Also, is it an older version of CPU-Z?

I leave the multiplier on Auto on both my EVGA and ASUS boards. Generally all 4 cores will be set at x21 multi and occasionally when just using one or two cores, they'll hit x22.

What speed did you set the FSB to? And what voltages?
 
your chip down clocks in windows when there is no load, its for power savings.

run prime95 to see if your overclock is stable, and it will show you proper readings in cpuz
 
I have an i7-920 and a DX58SO in my auxiliary box. Truth is, the components on that board are just not good enough to reach much higher than about 3.7 to 3.8 GHz with that CPU. Also, the DX58SO is missing one key voltage adjustment provision: the CPU PLL voltage. It is permanently fixed at a reference 1.80V. This hinders reliable overclocking beyond a moderate degree.
 
I have an i7-920 and a DX58SO in my auxiliary box. Truth is, the components on that board are just not good enough to reach much higher than about 3.7 to 3.8 GHz with that CPU. Also, the DX58SO is missing one key voltage adjustment provision: the CPU PLL voltage. It is permanently fixed at a reference 1.80V. This hinders reliable overclocking beyond a moderate degree.

thats not true at all, my 920 runs at 4.2 solid all day on my intel board. going to 4.3 it starts to get unstable, but you can get a good amount of overclock out of the intel boards.
 
Are you putting any kind of load on the processor when you look at CPU-Z? Also, is it an older version of CPU-Z?

I leave the multiplier on Auto on both my EVGA and ASUS boards. Generally all 4 cores will be set at x21 multi and occasionally when just using one or two cores, they'll hit x22.

What speed did you set the FSB to? And what voltages?



I have the latest version
 
Well, you could disable speedstep temporarily to see the full clockspeed.
 
I have an i7-920 and a DX58SO in my auxiliary box. Truth is, the components on that board are just not good enough to reach much higher than about 3.7 to 3.8 GHz with that CPU. Also, the DX58SO is missing one key voltage adjustment provision: the CPU PLL voltage. It is permanently fixed at a reference 1.80V. This hinders reliable overclocking beyond a moderate degree.

Clarifying this:

I should have stated that it is more difficult to achieve a stable high-level overclock with this DX58SO than with other X58 motherboards: On my particular board, only the Vcore, VTT/Uncore, IOH voltage and Vdimm voltages are adjustable at all. The LLC (Load Level Calibration) can be adjusted, with the setting set to the least amount of Vdroop by default. However, the CPU PLL and the ICH voltages cannot be adjusted manually at all. This makes an overclock beyond about 3.8GHz or so somewhat frustrating.
 
Last edited:
should have subbed, could have responded sooner. what bios was that board running? i think early bios you are right, you cant change the ich and cpu pll, however the latest bios version does let you adjust cpu pll and ich. i run my PLL @ 1.88v and ICH @ 1.2v or 1.3v iirc. i do agree that without adjusting those it can become frustrating, especially on that intel board as its known not to be too overclocker friendly. :)
 
should have subbed, could have responded sooner. what bios was that board running? i think early bios you are right, you cant change the ich and cpu pll, however the latest bios version does let you adjust cpu pll and ich. i run my PLL @ 1.88v and ICH @ 1.2v or 1.3v iirc. i do agree that without adjusting those it can become frustrating, especially on that intel board as its known not to be too overclocker friendly. :)

Actually, it also depends on the hardware AA revision of the board. The particular revision of that board I have has no provision whatsoever to manually set ICH or CPU PLL voltage even with the very latest BIOS version (5529),
 
that is pretty interesting. i do have probably the latest revision of the dx58so, i got it in august 2010 and a few months later the dx58so2 came out, so had to be one of the last runs of the board.
 
Back
Top