Outlook 2003 PST File Issue

brachy33

Gawd
Hey guys,

Just reformatted and rebuilt my father-in-laws laptop and installed Office 2010 Pro with Outlook 2010. Prior to reformatting his HDD, I exporting the PST file from Outlook 2003 and selected all sub folders, etc to be exported.

After setting up Office 2010 on the newly reformatted HDD under Windows 7 Pro and importing the Outlook 2003 PST file, all his emails and folders come up fine, but none of the contacts show up in the Address Book.

I tried re-importing the PST file a second time and again, all emails, folders, etc show up fine but no contacts in the address book. Any recommendations? Did I somehow miss exporting the address book during the Outlook 2003 PST export?

Thanks for any help

Do you have access to the original pst (a backup) that you used to make the exported file ? Make a copy of the *.pst file and use that.

I have seen this happen before from exporting a pst, then importing that file into outlook. Often times, a corruption occurs.

if you don't have access to the original pst, the contracts are probably gone.

Yes, you mean the main .PST file located in local/application data/etc/etc...?

Your mistake was selecting items and exporting the pst file. All you need to do is grab the entire pst file off the pc, then import that file into the new outlook program. Or place the pst file onto the new computer and when going through the outlook 2010 setup select the pst file in question as the default file. It will convert it automatically.

Yes, you mean the main .PST file located in local/application data/etc/etc...?

Yes. If you have that file you can just import that and the contacts should be there. When you go through the little wizard to create the .pst file there are checkboxes and I'd guess you missed the checkbox for include all subfolders or address book.

the check box only states to include all folder, you have to export the address book separately i believe.

the check box only states to include all folder, you have to export the address book separately i believe.

This is correct for 2003 from my experience.

For 2007, if using Exchange, the contacts should be stored on the server. Not sure about using pop3 or IMAP with something like yahoo, gmail, etc.

For 2003 and 2007, the cached email addys are stored in a .nk2 file, and will need to be inported by either putting the .nk2 file in the approproate folder before setting up Outlook, or by copying the .nk2 file to the appropriate folder and then running "Outlook /importnk2"

If using Exchange on 2010, the contacts and cached email addys will be stored on the server.

Back