.ost to .pst conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Load up outlook then archive everthing from the OST to a PST? I have done that before

Archiving is fine for this, or you can export the .ost to a .pst - exporting makes a copy whereas archive moves the messages.

If you're looking to do this on a bigger scale than individually, I don't have any experience to share :p

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually had a user with a corrupt profile on a virus laden machine that was no longer connected to the exchange server. One of our techs was able to get to the .ost and copy it out. Apparently there were some extremely important emails that were connected to a pop account that the user needed for a possible legal matter.....this dude is not very smart and not controlled by us. No back ups, and no idea that this was a problem. He does now.

I'm no exchange/outlook expert by any means , just for the record.

I demo'd a few of these converters and they were able to see into the .ost that we pulled from the corrupt profile. Had the dude buy the software and will attempt the recovery next week.

If the needed emails were from an additional pop account in outlook, they should be stored in a pst not an ost, ost is the cache file for the exchange account. With multiple email accounts I would expect to also find a pst file, keep in mind that not everyone uses the default location, so if the files aren't in local settings\applicationdata\... then I usually do a search across the drive just in case.

.pst files are basically mail archives, .ost is current mail held locally for offline-viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back