OS 9 trouble

kenthaman

Weaksauce
I have an ibook and it was loaded with OS 9 & X however when i first got it i thought it only had 9 on it and attempted to install X. When i went through the installation i somehow managed to delete os 9 and i cant figure out how to reinstall it. Wtf did i do? can someone help.

Thanks in advance

well it is going to depend on what version of OSX you are running and what iBook as well...give us the details and what CD's you have and we can take it from there

*agrees with Gigglebyte*

Doing an install of 9 is impossible if you only have OSX on the comp. You have to have OS 9.2 installed first and THEN install OSX.

But, as Giggle said, it all depends on what version of OSX you have and what version of OS9 you're trying to install. OSX only works with 9.2, no previous versions will work.

BTW, if you need a copy of 9.2, I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I have no use for it anymore and I get free shipping through my office *yay!*.

well you can do an install of OS 9 with OS X already on the system with out much problem...the only thing is if they did an erase and install chances are the drivers for OS 9 were not loaded and they will need to initalize the drive with the OS 9 drivers (can be done by either the OS 9 or OS X install CD) and then start loading the OS ...either OS X or OS 9..the only issue they might run into with doing X first is if they have bootable OS 9 CD's (some systems don't any more) they have to do a "clean install" by selecting options from the second screen in the OS 9 install and just select "Perform a Clean Install" then ok and install like normal. The reason this happens is OS 9 thinks there is another system folder and will error when you tell it to install but the clean install options bypasses that and everything loads just fine...if they have non bootable OS 9 then they initalize the drive with OS 9 drivers off the OS X install CD, load OS X up then restore OS 9 from the disks following their instructions but the OS 9 drivers are the key...if they are not loaded you are initializing the drive to get them on there

Back