Opening a wall wart that has no screws ;)

Nice :) I'm actually more inclined to go with the Lambda for reliability reasons somehow. At least, that's what I keep telling myself :p

Im using one of those chinese supplies (albeit at 50w 12v) to power a constantly on 30w led for my herb garden. The led driver draws about 52w and its been going strong for about 6 months.

Bought the Lambda. This will be interesting. Any suggestions for a bit of housing? I own a cat, and he is quite curious...

This Lambda supply is NEAT! It supplies both +5v and -5v. Must've come out of an amp or something...

Transformer has five inputs (!) (AC1, A, D, B, AC2) and a ground lug that goes to the laminations. Instructions are:
For 230v operation, wire A (little black wire) together with B (little white wire) to D.
For 120v operation, wire A to AC1 and B to AC2.

Here's how I *think* I'm supposed to wire it up --

AC1 - line / hot 120vac in
D - do not connect (this is for 230v if I'm reading them correctly...)
AC2 - neutral 120vac in
Lug - ground wire from 120vac plug

The Novatel chargers are blind chargers AFAIK, they just provide regulated power input and there's no sense line or resistor "tell me how much I can pull" setup or anything, near as I can tell. However, I'm wiring up a cable from a deceased Novatel charger to this thing, just in case they hid something in the USB Micro plug end... I'm wiring *that* like this:
+5v = red wire on cable
+0v = black wire on cable
-0v = do not connect
-5v = do not connect

All that sound right, or did I goof? I'm going to go ahead and wire it but I'll wait to test it till I hear from you guys. I don't want to explode this thing...

I'd wire it up, and then verify the output voltage. Then give it a shot on the novatel. Everything your saying sounds about right to me tho

Multimeter says no voltage output. A finger on the transformer windings gives a "buzzy" feeling if you know what I mean.

I'm going to contact the seller and see how useful they can be. (Probably not at all, because of frivolous lawsuits all over the damn place.)

Forgot to do a final update to this -- the Lambda has been humming along for most of a week now, just fine. The seller wasn't much help, but Lambda (now part of TDK) was.

I unfortunately can't post the datasheet, because Lambda made me sign a form... but here's the wiring information for 120v.

AC1 to A and to the black (hot or line) AC input wire.
AC2 to B and to the white (neutral) AC input wire.
Leave D alone.
Ground Lug (side of transformer) to the green (ground) AC input wire.

+5V and +5S should be connected together and wired to the positive voltage input on whatever you want to power (red wire, usually).
-5V and -5S should be connected together and wired to the ground input on whatever you want to power (almost always a black wire).

Leave +0V and -0V alone *unless* you have a Lambda "Optional Over-Voltage Protector" module which connects to those two outputs.

That's it!

Obviously, if you fry something doing this you shouldn't sue me OR Lambda. YOU fried it. Sue yourself :p

Back