Online Backups, r1 vs vembu vs ahsay vs others?

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking into moving away from our current online backup offerings (Mozy, Intronis) and going with a solution we can brand and get lower pricing to.

I see Vembu, Ahsay, r1 are some big players. I tried Vembu not overly impressed with the India support not horrible but I am use to US support. I only tried it a little bit but it didn;t seem as easy I wanted it to.

I tried iBackup but the Exchange backup for mailbox seems rather odd. In my tests it doesn't backup fully and you can't restore an individual email if you needed to.

I know kor computing (member here) use to do this but hoping others have suggestions.

I am wanting something easy to deploy, cheap to operate, would prefer to have the data somewhere else other than our office. Vembu for example lets you use Amazon s3 for .50cents a gig. Want to brand it. NEED Exchange Mailbox backup for individual email restore, and file backup.

Cost, they make you pay for revisions it seems like, have it on machines that the console just crashes on. I think its decent because of hte exchange mailbox, but not overly impressed with the pricing on it.

Think we can be doing better.

Ahsay
Vembu
CrashPlan Pro
Novastor
Asigra (expensive)

Those are the big names I used to deal with.

I use CrashPlan Pro as a residential and tiny home business user, and it seems to work great so far. Not sure if it meets your criteria, though, as I don't use Exchange (just the Microsoft Online version.)

The interesting thing about CrashPlan is that it allows you to backup to your own local drives, servers, your own remote servers or compuers, or you can pay for online backups.

NovaBACKUP xSP

Who uses it? What is the opinion? So far I am liking the US Sales and Support. Pricing isn't bad and would pay for itself after 1 year.

Thing that scares me is I would need to put a server in our office or at a house to backup too. Then I can't say its HIPAA compliant. I guess I could put in a data center but I wouldn't know any pricing.

NovaBACKUP xSP

Who uses it? What is the opinion? So far I am liking the US Sales and Support. Pricing isn't bad and would pay for itself after 1 year.

Contact "AceXsmurF" which is a member here..that works for them. I just, last week, purchased a bunch of them for a client of mine....I'll be installing it next week or probably 2 weeks down the road...so I don't have feedback yet. But I can say that he's good at answering your questions and taking care of you.

We moved off of Intronis recently to Axcient and Vembu for a number of reasons.

Axcient is our primary online backup option for our customers. Although their pricing is more expensive than Intronis, Axcient provides an HP server appliance (250GB minimum). The most compelling feature is the imaging backup that can failover to a virtual machine directly on the appliance. We're all familiar with the scenario where a customer server fails and we're in a mad rush to bring it back up with the added pressure from the customer to get the server online as soon as possible. With the ability to bring a backup as a virtual machine that customers can connect to while we take our time to restore the failed server and bare metal restore, the benefits of Axcient's feature set more than outweighs the extra cost. Our customers benefit and we look like heroes. Axcient currently doesn't offer rebranding.

Vembu provides us our secondary option to customers who either have much less than 250GB data to back up, don't want to pay the higher fixed tiered cost of Axcient, and/or don't need the benefits of failover to VM. Vembu offers local or remote backup servers that can replicate to Amazon S3 or to a replication server (on Amazon EC2/S2 or your own solution). I had reservations of support from India, but I can honestly say that their support is top notch, their support representatives are very knowledgeable in their product on both Windows and Linux, and they are very responsive. Sure, we all had bad support from other companies where their outsourced support is in India, but that's not the case with Vembu. Many of the US-based support I've dealt with are usually tier 1 level who barely know their product, let alone servers and networking - you know what I'm talking about. Vembu support is that good - they know their product, servers and networking. Vembu also listens to their partners - I know no other backup solution provider who ramps up in new features and implements partner feature requests faster than Vembu. Give their trial a spin and talk to their support. Vembu offers different levels of rebranding. Key compelling features for us (although I still need to test some of these features): Linux support, MySQL, Exchange (and mailbox level), VMware ESXi, bare metal restore, and P2V (beta). I'm on the fence regarding their MCALs as it makes it more confusing and difficult (not impossible) to provide a fixed per GB pricing to customers.

For enterprise backup solutions I would have to recommend Asigra. I've used them for about two years and had great experiences with the product. I am a customer so we go through a vendor (Terremark) for the service. Asigra will allow you to do full exchange mail store backups as well as message level store. Asigra will allow you to keep a local copy of your most recent backups on a local storage gateway so you can restore at local LAN speeds.

Zenith Infotech is another company who does the same thing as Axcient. They've got my number and keep calling me. Downside is that the server costs a bit of money. Then if you want offsite backups, you pay per month for x amount of space. Plus side it is that it is rebrandable.

I'd like to try out the solution. Their salesman say there is a 30 or 60 day trial on the first unit to get me on board as a partner. Hopefully I can convince one of my clients to do this.

If I could figure out how their software works, I'd just do it myself with a free solution of some sort on my own server hardware.

I am still looking now looking at Nine Technologies, XZ backup, and Vembu

I was turned off by vembu and the out sourcing but it did look good but I've also heard amazon s3 is slow on restores.

Xz backup is fully rebrandable and based off ahsay, 70 cents a gig an a 30 one time fee per client

NovaBACKUP xSP

Thing that scares me is I would need to put a server in our office or at a house to backup too. Then I can't say its HIPAA compliant. I guess I could put in a data center but I wouldn't know any pricing.

Hit me up via PM. I am the Director of Products here at NovaStor, and have used the software for over 10 years as a offsite backup provider before I was hired at NovaStor and deal with it every day now that I work for NovaStor for over the last 6 years. :D

Edit: Sorry about that, it looks like we have already talked about this. Let me know if you need any further info.

I spoke with ya the other week not sure if I'm ready for the cost. And I really likethe ability to backup at the mailbox level.

XZ backup is in the lead now, much cheaper and so far seems good.

Most of my clients are on SBS and with the new image backup they kind of have the disaster recovery.

Yea, sorry about that. Last week was release week for the latest version of the software so it was a blur.

If Mailbox level backup/restore is an absolute requirement then NovaBACKUP does not fit the bill.

From my research, most of backup software that is doing mailbox level backup/restore in a reasonable manner is basically using Kroll Ontrack PowerControls as their underlying engine to do it.
http://www.krollontrack.com/software/powercontrols/

Other software uses some sort of MAPI interface in certain circumstances. All of which break the single instance storage of Exchange from what I understand. Which may not be too bad for SMB type setups as it might not add too much overhead to it.

Back