One of our office networks is 'missing' after resetting router.

Sodalas

2[H]4U
I'm new to this office so I was unsure how this was initially setup.

Basically I threw a couple machines together and plugged some cat5 into them which went to a dlink router under the desk of a machine that was already here before me.

I set up the network shortcuts to things folks need (Like this share called the S Drive at \\SSFSERVE)

Works fine etc for a couple of days, fast forward to today when we moved some furniture around and had to unplug/replug some cat5. Once everyones plugged back in we cant seem to get the machines attached to this dlink router to identify and grab an address.

Tried the normal routes, eventually took a paperclip and reset the router - voila webbernet.

Now here's the problem, I can't access the network shares on any machines plugged into the dlink router anymore. Even stranger, the other machines in the office can all see the SSFSERVE just fine - because they aren't plugged into the d-link router(which is plugged into a wan rj45 jack on the wall)

So here's what I'm thinking, we have TWO internal networks that were communicating but now for some reason - aren't.

For example the local address for the file server was along the lines of 192.168.1.10 where as all these machines are 192.168.ZERO.whatever

The dns suffix for each network in ipconfig is different as well

mshome.net (dlinks) and no-domain-set.bellcanada for the rest.

How can I reconnect to this 'other' network.

"Upon clozer inzpection"

Default Gateway
DNS

I remember the first day I was here I tried logging into 192.168.2.1 to access what I thought was the 'only' router, and the login/pass that the last guy left me wasnt working.

Tried 192.168.1.1, ah there we go! All was good.

But obviously now I know 192.168.0.1 is the address for the dlink router, 1.1 for the netgear which is what all the NORMAL machines who can see this 'ssfserve' then we have 2.1 which I can't get into for some reason (I can't find the password anywhere)

I'm guessing maybe these shares are managed on 192.168.2.1 and resetting the dlink router made it so I have to re-share them to the dlink 'network'

Any help? lol

know of any reason for the double-NAT'ing and whatnot?
maybe don't use the WAN port on the DLink, and turn off it's DHCP, that way everything will get an IP from the Netgear?

I don't really know why j-sta. Nobody who is here now had any part in setting it up.

I also had the same idea though about the WAN Port, but then where should the cable for the wan socket go? Into port 3 or 4 etc?

I tried that and to no avail, but I didn't disable DHCP on the dlink. Maybe it was disabled before and resetting it (via paperclip!) enabled DHCP? Starting this chain of events?

Well right now you have three networks, 0.1, 1.1, 2.1...

I am taking a guess when you did the d-link reset, it went to its factory IP and settings.. I think its time to make a new topology and plan out that network. If the netgear is the actual router that is hooked up to the ISP, and is the DHCP service, then what j-sta said you are going to have to configure the d-link router with no DHCP, do not use the wan port (it will just make itself a switch).

Which I guess would make sense then because the d-link would be on the 1.0 network which your fileshare PC is on.

Your DNS is set to 2.1, what is 2.1?

I don't really know why j-sta. Nobody who is here now had any part in setting it up.

I also had the same idea though about the WAN Port, but then where should the cable for the wan socket go? Into port 3 or 4 etc?

I tried that and to no avail, but I didn't disable DHCP on the dlink. Maybe it was disabled before and resetting it (via paperclip!) enabled DHCP? Starting this chain of events?

What you could do is figure out where the actual WAN connection from the modem is. Setup the netgear there. Then, using lets say the 1.0 network, connect the d-link to the netgear via one of the d-links ethernet ports. But log into the d-link before you do that and configure it to no DHCP, etc. so it just acts as a switch..

I am still at a loss of what the 2.1 network is though...

LOL Eureka!

Thanks so much man, when I reset the router it re-enabled DHCP. Disabled it and voila (after removing it from the wan port and plugging it back into the 4th which I tried before)

Damn you crafty dlink router with your auto-re-enabling of dhcp when I unplug you!

You go move some furniture around and next thing you know, a runaway self-enabling dhcp server is trying to mess up your day ;D

Glad it works, I would now start looking into making a topology of that active network and see whats doing what. Do you still have that 2.1 network floating around there?

My idea exactly CiscoInside, I'm thinking "Who would set up a network this way?"

But day one I saw the netgear switch with its 80 plugs downstairs. (NONE labelled/taped off...OH EM GEE)

I want to move that whole CLOSET/server room up here.

What a couple days thats going to be...

<UponClozerInzpection>

For the "Internet Setup" on the 192.168.ONE.1 router we have

Static IP type

gateway 192.168.2.1
Local IP Address 192.168.1.1

So that's what we have..

Last edited:
so it sounds like they HAD already reconfigured the DLink to work as just a switch, by not using the WAN port and disabling DHCP ;)

so you do only have 2 subnets... which does (somewhat) help simplify things.
and it sounds like you found the device that's actually hooked up to the modem.

honestly, the easiest thing to do, in my opinion, replace the DLink router with a plain old switch.
Then, find the other router providing the 2nd subnet, and replace it with a plain switch.

won't take any more than 5 minute down-time to replace each.

so it sounds like they HAD already reconfigured the DLink to work as just a switch, by not using the WAN port and disabling DHCP ;)

so you do only have 2 subnets... which does (somewhat) help simplify things.
and it sounds like you found the device that's actually hooked up to the modem.

honestly, the easiest thing to do, in my opinion, replace the DLink router with a plain old switch.
Then, find the other router providing the 2nd subnet, and replace it with a plain switch.

won't take any more than 5 minute down-time to replace each.

It is interesting though.. the main router that is hooked up to the "internet" is set to a static of 192.168.2.5 so his internet connection is actually another router.. So pretty much it is:

modem (WAN IP) ----> router A(LAN of 192.168.2.0 network) -----> router B(WAN IP of 192.168.2.5, LAN of 192.168.1.0 network) ------> Netgear switch (or router?) -----> d-link router

So, lol, that is a lot of equipment. Is this internet connection yours or is it shared in the building? If it is yours, get rid of all the routers besides Router A, make sure router a has its DHCP service on, and run it something like this:

Modem (WAN IP) ----> router A (LAN of 192.168.2.0 network, DHCP server) ----> Netgear switch -----> another switch if needed

Then go have a beer for untangling that confusing network. If not, I will have one for you. Let me know.

So here is a little diagram of the closet (Rows seperated by --)

DSL Modem -> Linksys 4 port Router
--
24 Port "IBDN" switch (Looks like a disaster)
--
24 port Netgear switch (A JFS524)
--
Linksys 8 port switch (Internet port is going into ANOTHER DSL modem)

sounds like a true cluster fu...

so you're saying there's actually 2 internet connections?
if the Linksys 8 port "switch" has an "Internet" port, it's a router not a switch ;)

And both internet connections are feeding into the same network? Is one of the DSL modems not up? I would think in that type of situation, you would use a multi wan router that can run load balancing/failover.

You could do a pfsense box to do just that.

Basically, is this is what you have?

I tried to write your topology three times and gave up. We need more info on what is hooked up to what, because either you have two separate networks or the previous guy tried to tie two separate modems into the network.

Last edited:
Back