One less fan in my case.

elitotaco

Limp Gawd
I bought one of those Zalman northbridge heatsinks a while back, but never installed it because Abit is stupid and doesn't use pushpin connectors for the northbridge heatsink like normal manufacturers. It's been sitting in a box for almost a year, and I finally got sick of the northbridge fan noise enough to modifiy it to fit. I had to trim off the corner pins in order to fit the ring from the fan off my dead IC7 to go around it.

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

cools well, and is absolutely silent. Now I need to order some panaflos and replace the case fans, and organize the wires a little more, and I'll be happy. Right now, my pc is slightly louder than my G4 tower (GOGOMAC), enough to notice when it's turned on. Hoping to have it as quiet, or quieter, when I finish.

so all you did was snip some of the fins and used the stock retainer? I think I may do this instead of making my own wire.

I don't think your case wiring is that bad :) It's much better than mine, that's for sure.

Nice job on the northbridge!

i got one of these for a shuttle i built for a friend... works great

100_0173.JPG

Here's my Zalman 32J on my IC7 that I thermal pasted and never looked back.
Cools better than the two lousy Abit nb hsf's I went through and I never have to worry about it again.
Epoxying kills your Abit warranty but I can live with that.
Bloefield

The thermal paste holds real good, much better than I thought it would actually.
And it's been working really well as a heat conductor too for a few months now
As long as you follow the directions: use one paste for the NB, one for the hs.
Let it set for the proper amount of time etc.
I'm very happy with it.

Back