• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Onboard versus Audigy 2

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
6,179
2 Quick questions....

Which is better for gaming sound, my Onboard Audio which is Realtek ALC850 8-CH or an Audigy 2 gamer?

I currently use headphones (Sennheiser pc-150) for gaming, but need some speakers for radio, music and occasional gaming.

What are peoples speaker preference for 2.1 and 5.1 setups? I want to do the speakers on a budget, sub $100 for 2.1 and sub $150 for 5.1.
 
I recently put an Audigy 2 ZS into my PC, before which I was using the onboard audio (Realtek ALC650 on the Abit IT7 Max 2 v2.0) running into my Logitech Z-680s (no flames....please?), and the difference was night and day......Audigy 2 was much better hands down.....
 
Audigy2 hands down (again).

Not to split hairs, but if you havent bought the card, you can save a couple bucks on their OEM or Value cards. As long as its the Audigy 2 ZS model, you get the same card as the "gamer" version or platinum (except for the external drive thingy) and you can save a couple bucks to expand your choices for your speaker setup.

However, the gamer card has a decent software bundle and a $50 rebate on it for a few more days, so, I guess if thats the road you took, thats a good deal. I'd get a retail version if and only if there were benefits like a rebate or software titles I really wanted.
 
Thanks for the info, and it was what I expected.

Yeah, I just saw that rebate at BB yesterday, I will probably do that. I don't care too much on the software bundle, but it will come out to $60 after rebate. Which is cheaper than Newegg on a card. Thanks again!
 
zoobaby said:
Thanks for the info, and it was what I expected.

Yeah, I just saw that rebate at BB yesterday, I will probably do that. I don't care too much on the software bundle, but it will come out to $60 after rebate. Which is cheaper than Newegg on a card. Thanks again!


I thought you might when you mentioned the Gamer limited edition. As of right now, the OEM version is $75. Decent price, but I'd get the retail version if it had a rebate. Wait, I did. Platinum with that $70 deal they had at the end of last month. :)

Newegg linkage....
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-158&depa=1
 
I'm definitely going to get a platinum when I can afford it. Running of my Realtek as well on my MSI K8N Neo2 Plat for now. I particularly like the audigy 2 platinum for the remote it comes with. But you can find gamers for cheap AND with like 250 bucks worth of OEM games.
 
Well I bought the card today. I probably wont install it until tomorrow. Suggestions on inexpensive speakers, that are GOOD! See original post for price considerations.
 
Back
Top