Onboard sound issues

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
Ever since I upgraded my desktop to 64bit Vista I've had ongoing severe sound issues that I have yet to be able to solve. The onboard sound worked and sounded fine when I had XP, but my computer decided to take a dump and corrupt the windows installation to the point of not being able to even reinstall so I had to do a complete nuke on the HD from another computer. Decided to go with vista this time around as I had used it on my laptop and enjoyed it and I would finally be able to use all 4 gigs of the RAM I have. Shortly after installing, I noticed the sound while doing everything was unusably low. I figured this was just a wierd driver, so I updated. After this, everything only became marginally louder, but sound quality was noticably worse, and would crackle and pop at even the slightest load on the processor.

As it is now, I have every effect in the drivers that increases the volume turned up, and my headphones at max volume, and the sound is still talking level at best (headphones are fine, tried on another computer). The quality has just continued to get worse and worse. If I am playing WoW now, I can't even have aim or firefox open in the background without the game sound snapping and popping constantly, and it even gets bad when loading a new area/alt tabbing in. Sounds that are supposed to be high and sharp in game also have a tendency to randomly sound muffled, as if my headphones were under a pillow. If I have ventrilo running, more than a few voices easily gets lost into a muffled sound and whenever someone talks, it causes all other sound on the computer to either become muffled or start crackling.

I'm assuming this is some sort of wierd driver issue involving low volume and not prioritizing using the CPU resources correctly with 64 bit vista, as when I was on XP, I would frequently have a firefox with a dozen tabs open, 2 copies of wow, ventrilo, rhapsody, aim, and steam open all at the same time, and the sound was perfectly loud and as crisp as it could get with onboard sound. Has anyone else had similar issues or know how to solve this?

Computer specs
Intel Core 2 Duo e6420
EVGA NF68-T1 680i SLI
4x1GB Mushkin Extreme Performance DDR2-800
EVGA 8800GTS
74G Raptor

Also, I have tried numerous driver versions from several places, and tried everything from DriverCleaner, to manually scrubbing drivers, to the vista found ones, and installing in safe mode. None have worked.
 
Same issue in vista. My fix - get a headphone amp.

Not sure why - but under vista - your onboard sound is suddenly unable to drive headphones at a usable level. Different drivers yield weird results like cracking and popping.
 
Back
Top