Onboard NIC or 3com addin?

GMcDougal

Gawd
ive been using onboard nic which is a gigabit ethernet on an nforce4 motherboard. i have a 3com nic card which can be found Here. The reason im asking this is because during heavy online gaming, the game gets real choppy and im thinking its due to the high cpu use of the onboard nic. someone please steer me in the right direction here, even if this isnt the fix. thanks.

I like the nForce NICs...(depending on which yours is..I know they use a few different ones). But from reading, and my own use, most of them seem to be excellent performers. The one I had on my MSI motherboard had lower latency to the same online public gaming servers than my other rigs on my home LAN..those were using the trusty 3COM 905 and Intel Pro 10/100. All rigs similar specs and setup.

Certainly easy enough to try for yourself though..just stick one in...and try it.

GMcDougal said:
ive been using onboard nic which is a gigabit ethernet on an nforce4 motherboard. i have a 3com nic card which can be found. The reason im asking this is because during heavy online gaming, the game gets real choppy and im thinking its due to the high cpu use of the onboard nic. someone please steer me in the right direction here, even if this isnt the fix. thanks.

Have you tried updating to the latest nForce drivers? Also, I am assuming that you are using a decent high speed ISP. Honestly, I can't imagine that the onboard NIC and it's usage of CPU cycles is killing your connection that bad, IMHO. Something else must be going on.

Back