I wish there was a perfect display technology, but each has its pros and cons.
OLED has a LOT of pros, but two very serious cons - limited lifetime and screen burn-in. They might be able to bring the lifetime to over 60,000 hours which will be more than acceptable, but the burn-in, just like with plasmas, is impossible to completely overcome at least from what I've read (I might be wrong). Especially for PC monitor use with menus, etc.
LCDs on the other hand are getting better. E-IPS is bringing cheap IPS panels with great viewing angles and beautiful true colors at affordable prices, LED backlighting is making it possible for displays to be extremely thin, although that's not really an issue for desktop monitors, but the largest setbacks of LCDs are blacks + backlight bleeding. It's impossible to have true blacks and even the best monitors suffer from minor bleeding around the edges.
So I honestly don't know which technology is better in the long run. I'd like to know that I can leave my monitor on for 24 hours displaying the same thing and it won't burn in, but at the same time I love the true blacks, contrast and 0% viewing angle distortion of OLEDs (even IPS panels have a bit of distortion).
Everyone is excited about OLED displays right now, but honestly I don't see why. For portable devices sure - less power consumption and less space, but for PC monitors the burn-in and limited lifetime for me will definitely be a huge issue.
And it seems those issues will never be truly solved, because they're deeply rooted in the way the respective technologies work. LCDs will never be able to display true blacks and OLEDs will never be able to completely eliminate burn-in and last as long as LCDs, especially LED backlit LCDs which can last for decades.
So, which one do you prefer? Will you switch to an OLED monitor when they become available in 3-4 years if the lifetime and burn-in issues are still as severe?
OLED has a LOT of pros, but two very serious cons - limited lifetime and screen burn-in. They might be able to bring the lifetime to over 60,000 hours which will be more than acceptable, but the burn-in, just like with plasmas, is impossible to completely overcome at least from what I've read (I might be wrong). Especially for PC monitor use with menus, etc.
LCDs on the other hand are getting better. E-IPS is bringing cheap IPS panels with great viewing angles and beautiful true colors at affordable prices, LED backlighting is making it possible for displays to be extremely thin, although that's not really an issue for desktop monitors, but the largest setbacks of LCDs are blacks + backlight bleeding. It's impossible to have true blacks and even the best monitors suffer from minor bleeding around the edges.
So I honestly don't know which technology is better in the long run. I'd like to know that I can leave my monitor on for 24 hours displaying the same thing and it won't burn in, but at the same time I love the true blacks, contrast and 0% viewing angle distortion of OLEDs (even IPS panels have a bit of distortion).
Everyone is excited about OLED displays right now, but honestly I don't see why. For portable devices sure - less power consumption and less space, but for PC monitors the burn-in and limited lifetime for me will definitely be a huge issue.
And it seems those issues will never be truly solved, because they're deeply rooted in the way the respective technologies work. LCDs will never be able to display true blacks and OLEDs will never be able to completely eliminate burn-in and last as long as LCDs, especially LED backlit LCDs which can last for decades.
So, which one do you prefer? Will you switch to an OLED monitor when they become available in 3-4 years if the lifetime and burn-in issues are still as severe?