OLDSCHOOL 478 Question

OC-Chronic

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Messages
234
Heyya, all...

I have an old school question dating back to the Socket 478 days. I've got my hands on an old DFI LanParty PRO875B & was wondering what CPU's are the highest overclockers & have the best steppings. etc?

Cna anyone help me out with suggestions??

Thanx,
OC :D
 
Those were the days of the 2.4C Northwoods, right? If so, try to find one of those - easy overclocks.
 
From memory, the P4 Northwood and Gallatin were the best OC'ers for 478. The Northwoods with 400MHz FSB worked well, I had a P4 2.6C (or 2.4C can't remember) Northwood that did 3.2GHz easily on air, and many got 3.6+ with better cooling.
 
From memory, the P4 Northwood and Gallatin were the best OC'ers for 478. The Northwoods with 400MHz FSB worked well, I had a P4 2.6C (or 2.4C can't remember) Northwood that did 3.2GHz easily on air, and many got 3.6+ with better cooling.

Yeah, it was simple to switch from the stock 100 FSB to 133 FSB, and get the 2.4C up to 3.2. That was about as easy as overclocking SB, in fact.
 
Yeah, it was simple to switch from the stock 100 FSB to 133 FSB, and get the 2.4C up to 3.2. That was about as easy as overclocking SB, in fact.

Yup, just had to make sure you didn't have any bus issues as I think I recall a few devices being very finicky in that regard. In any case, I was cleaning out some equipment a few months ago and happened upon an older 478 build - I can't believe just how slow it was, and boy was it fast back then.
 
Back
Top