"old school" Big Typhoon VX....surprising!

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Considering this cooler is over 5 years old, I got a new mounting bracket and popped it onto my 965Be @3.9ghz, and it dropped load temps from 64c to 55c as reported by coretemp. I only have the speed adjustable fan at 2000rpm so it's nice and quiet too.

I was using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 and it really was not good at handling overclock wattage, so I gave it to my mom for her triple core :)

I am in a hot climate and my room is always a bit to the warm side, so I am QUITE happy with this big old beast of a cooler.

Now all will be peachy when my HD6950 and Deus Ex HR arrives next week....:cool:

1znacxy.jpg

I have the second revision of that cooler that I had on my x4 955 and it worked great, it would load about 44c at stock clocks. I bought it open box on ebay for $20 too (it came new with some finger prints on it).

pics of the cooler?

I love being able to re-use old coolers!

heres the ugly beast in all its glory

1-BigTyphoon.jpg

i'm still using mine. why, i don't know i absolutely hate this heatsink but i think my reasoning is after taking almost an hour to put it on over a year ago, i don't feel like taking it off again. this thing has by far the worst mounting system EVER! the other issue is the gaps on the fins do an awesome job at collecting dust..

It does suck to mount it.

That's the VX in the pic above since it has the AM2/AM3 guides on the top of the cpu plate, I even have an older unit that just has the smooth top....

With the "I" bracket mounting you have to pull the mainboard, but it is seriously sturdy after that. The AM3 clip I have currently is working fine (after removing part of the thumb lever since it hit the underside of the fins)... but since it only attaches this somewhat heavy cooler to the two tabs on the stock AM3 plastic square mount...I will pull the board next week when my updated I bracket comes in and do it the "right" way so that I don't have to worry about moving my rig around and breaking something.

edit: dust collection is an issue for some...I clean out my case with a blower every 1-2 months and it never gets bad enough by then to affect performance.

That's the VX in the pic above since it has the AM2/AM3 guides on the top of the cpu plate, I even have an older unit that just has the smooth top....

With the "I" bracket mounting you have to pull the mainboard, but it is seriously sturdy after that. The AM3 clip I have currently is working fine (after removing part of the thumb lever since it hit the underside of the fins)... but since it only attaches this somewhat heavy cooler to the two tabs on the stock AM3 plastic square mount...I will pull the board next week when my updated I bracket comes in and do it the "right" way so that I don't have to worry about moving my rig around and breaking something.

edit: dust collection is an issue for some...I clean out my case with a blower every 1-2 months and it never gets bad enough by then to affect performance.

it won't break the tabs i've been using this heatsink since they came out shit almost 5 years ago, heck maybe even longer now.. never broke the tabs. the older 754/939 had a much better mounting system which i also had. the whole bracket was flat so it was easy as heck to install instead of that v shaped crap so that it could put more pressure on the center of the cpu.

as far the latch goes, just push the heatsink to one side as you close the latch.. the heatpipes are so flimsy the whole thing moves without almost any pressure on it.

well my case has 2x240mm fans.. its a dust vacuum and there isn't crap i can do about it either, lol :D

heres the ugly beast in all its glory

1-BigTyphoon.jpg

i'm still using mine. why, i don't know i absolutely hate this heatsink but i think my reasoning is after taking almost an hour to put it on over a year ago, i don't feel like taking it off again. this thing has by far the worst mounting system EVER! the other issue is the gaps on the fins do an awesome job at collecting dust..

^I have this cooler to, and yes the super close fin's attract dust like CRAZY!, my newest cooler is a dust vacuum to...Silver Arrow has the thiner closer fin's :rolleyes: but a beast of an air cooler (i'm still scared of water, my best friend's 2600K rig is the guinea pig of my watercooling skills hahaha XSPC RX360 kit going for little over 7 month's now.)

Same cooler here- works like a champ! It's on an unlocked AMD 720, 4core/3Ghz during a summer of 90+ degrees inside (no air). Id does need cleaning, but it's in a Haf922 so I need to clean the inside anyway... Next case So needs filters!

Yup, never discount old coolers because of age. Moddfied my nice old d-tek fuzion for 1155 cpu's and it still works great! Love saving money, my wc setup has been slowly paying for itself with the fact its the same parts I bought 4 years ago and still use them all even after 3 complete system upgrades

Same cooler here- works like a champ! It's on an unlocked AMD 720, 4core/3Ghz during a summer of 90+ degrees inside (no air). Id does need cleaning, but it's in a Haf922 so I need to clean the inside anyway... Next case So needs filters!

i tried the whole filter thing.. way more hassle then its worth most of the time.

Back