This doesn't fall under Case Modding, since it's just the PSU. That said, I have an ancient power supply that is nevertheless still good (PC Power and Cooling 850SSI which was back before they were purchased by OCZ--make of that what you will).
Unfortunately, it is rather LOUD, and ironically became even noisier after I opened it to clean it and see what kind of fan/connector it possesses. (NOTE: Warranty ran out last year.)
I replaced its fan with this 80mm. It's hard to find a quiet, high-CFM 80mm fan!
PCP&C told me the existing fan is rated 52CFM but that the units are "overengineered" for an industrial environment. I figure losing 4CFM won't kill it. That said, I almost killed it anyway! See, I assumed the PSU would be able to control the fan's speed as needed. Boy was that wrong! The fan only ran at minimum, resulting in a power supply whose casing was hot to the touch after only an hour of gaming. Not good!
Good thing this fan comes with a thermal sensor and manual twist-knob control. Wired up the knob, ran the wires around the edge of the inside of the PSU and set to maximum. Still can't hear it over other fans/ambient noise.
I'm going to see if doing the same hour-long gaming session makes it burn up like last time. On paper, it shouldn't because the fan at full power moves a ton of air. A totally unscientific "hand behind the power supply test" confirmed that I could feel a similar amount of air from this fan as came from the previous, far noisier three-blade. We shall see...
Unfortunately, it is rather LOUD, and ironically became even noisier after I opened it to clean it and see what kind of fan/connector it possesses. (NOTE: Warranty ran out last year.)
I replaced its fan with this 80mm. It's hard to find a quiet, high-CFM 80mm fan!
PCP&C told me the existing fan is rated 52CFM but that the units are "overengineered" for an industrial environment. I figure losing 4CFM won't kill it. That said, I almost killed it anyway! See, I assumed the PSU would be able to control the fan's speed as needed. Boy was that wrong! The fan only ran at minimum, resulting in a power supply whose casing was hot to the touch after only an hour of gaming. Not good!
Good thing this fan comes with a thermal sensor and manual twist-knob control. Wired up the knob, ran the wires around the edge of the inside of the PSU and set to maximum. Still can't hear it over other fans/ambient noise.
I'm going to see if doing the same hour-long gaming session makes it burn up like last time. On paper, it shouldn't because the fan at full power moves a ton of air. A totally unscientific "hand behind the power supply test" confirmed that I could feel a similar amount of air from this fan as came from the previous, far noisier three-blade. We shall see...