[old hardware] Was the nforce4 northbridge made to withstand heat?

dr.kevin

2[H]4U
on my old pc which i gave to the parents, I have an asus a8n nforce4 with a dinky NB fan and a joke of a heatsink....

123krhg.jpg

(Does that even move any air? like 3cfm maybe? )

I got tired of taking the fan apart and lubricating it every few months, so i replaced it with a gpu heatsink that looks just like the one below.
But it's hot to touch. Not boiling hot. Maybe 80*C I'd estimate.

I wonder if that's ok.....? I figured the gpu I took the heatsink from must be way hotter than the nforce4 nb, and the heatsink sufficed for that application.

There's a 120mm fan exhaust in back, and 90mm in front, pulling air over the hdd.

20pprv4.jpg

My old Nforce4 motherboard only has a small passive heatsink on it, and it's been running great for years now. As long as you have half-way decent airflow in the case, you'll be fine.

it'll be okay with a small passive heatsink at stock fsb speed as long as there is a bit of airflow directly over the heatsink itself...from whatever direction...

Yeah they always got hot, my nforce 4 nb always ran hotter than the cpu.

the heatsink should be fine.. it is much much larger then the stock one.. but you may want to grab some cheap 40mm fans (or what ever size the heatsink is) and slap them on there.. just use some silicone around the screw holes on the fan to keep it attached.. when one dies rip it off put a new one on..

Yeah they always got hot, my nforce 4 nb always ran hotter than the cpu.

pretty much to be expected with a 130nm chipset :p

my old a8n has been sitting under my desk, oc'd a bit (2.4), clogged with dog hair, folding 24/7 with a dead nb fan for a few years here in az. i love that board. It sure can take the heat and not miss a beat.

Back