ok to run indoor cat5e outside

yeah, just anchor it evenly so it doesn't sag if it's on the side of a building or something.

running on the ground is a totally different story.

Well you can run the cable outside; however, UV light will break the sheathing down eventually. If you can use UV resistant Cat5e cable. Otherwise don't worry about it. You will just need to replace it more often than you like.

also, STP cable is a must..... unless you want something to blow up if it ever gets struck my lightning.

also, I would run it across two houses, I would anchor it to the side of the house all the way to the ground, dig a small trench, insert PVC and run the cable through the piping with proper couplers to keep moisture out.

EDIT: Also, there are some cables that come with separate grounding wire.....I would seriously consider that.... then again, im not a cable guy per se.. so take what i say with a grain of salt:p

also, STP cable is a must..... unless you want something to blow up if it ever gets struck my lightning.

If something gets struck by lightning, it doesnt matter what its made out of, or how much sheilding it has, things will get toasted.

also, I would run it across two houses, I would anchor it to the side of the house all the way to the ground, dig a small trench, insert PVC and run the cable through the piping with proper couplers to keep moisture out.

EDIT: Also, there are some cables that come with separate grounding wire.....I would seriously consider that.... then again, im not a cable guy per se.. so take what i say with a grain of salt:p

I totally agree with this statement. I would dig a ditch maybe a foot or two into the ground also. You never no if something needs to be put in the ground and you dig into the piping/wire.

If something gets struck by lightning, it doesnt matter what its made out of, or how much sheilding it has, things will get toasted.

Funny story, I used to work for a cable ISP doing help desk support (still work here just a differnet role now). A cust called in and informed me that lightning had struck her yard, tagged the underground cable buired 3 feet under ground (yes cable is seriously sheilded), ran up to her house and blew the box off the side of her house a good 20 feet (all confirmed by feild tech)....... I dont care what you do, if you put copper wire outside sheilded or not and lightning hits that kiss your switch goodbye.

IIRC Direct Burial Cable is about the same cost per foot as UV resistant cable. Just make sure you bury the cable below the frost line.

BTW, you don't need to dig a trench they make a tool that looks like a flattened garden hoe (I can't remember what it is called) that will cut a slice in the ground and you can wiggle it back and forth to open a slot in the ground and then drop your cable into the slot. Then all you have to do is press on the sides of the opening in the ground...

Hope this helps...

I recently installed 2 runs of Cat 5e cable outside my house - both runs about 20m. They're just the standard stuff, not plenum or anything - Blue patch, UTP. Anyway, we've just ran them through PVC piping (conduit) with brackets to the side of the house, and it looks good and secure. We've yet to terminate the end on the right end of the cable - left is done :)

Back