OK I think I screwed up

sparks

2[H]4U
I have xp 32 bit on one system. I was going to dual boot it with Vista 64 bit. Someone said you can't do that on one drive. SO without thinking (always my best option) I purchased Vista 32 bit.

Now what can and can not be dual booted?
Can I swap a 32 bit Vista for a 64 bit or upgrade cheap to 64 bit if I can get it to work?

I'm dual-booting XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Business 32-bit on one drive. You can request 64-bit media from Microsoft for $10 or so I think.

Your hard drive must be partitioned so each OS has it's own impregnable space. Then install XP first.

If you can get an ISO of just the x64 disk, you can use your 32bit key to activate it. Vista's 32bit and 64bit can interchange keys.

I have xp 32 bit on one system. I was going to dual boot it with Vista 64 bit. Someone said you can't do that on one drive. SO without thinking (always my best option) I purchased Vista 32 bit.

Now what can and can not be dual booted?
Can I swap a 32 bit Vista for a 64 bit or upgrade cheap to 64 bit if I can get it to work?

If you know someone with a Vista64 disk, you can just use the Product key you have with it. If you got the Retail version you can go to the MS web site and order the 64-bit media for about $10.

There's no problem dual-booting two OSes on the same drive. Is it the preferred method? Probably not, but it will work. Speaking of preferred methods, why not just load Vista x64 as the native OS, and then run XP in a VM? VirtualBox is free, and works great.

I have the vista ultimate.
the one that was on sale in hot deal for $60.
I got 32 bit version and also paid for the disk not sure when I will get it, its been about 10 days now, have not installed it yet.

You cant upgrade 32 bit xp to 64 bit vista, but you can dual boot just about anything.

If you have an OEM version to my knowledge you cannot request 64 bit media from microsoft however if you acquired a 64 bit OEM disk a different way you could use your key.

Well that didn't work.
I asked a friend who has 64 bit vista to get a copy of his disk.

sure

I get it and its something called vista black ops or something like that.
Got a lot of added stuff. I asked and its a hacked version so now I need to find a legit friend LOL

Well that didn't work.
I asked a friend who has 64 bit vista to get a copy of his disk.

sure

I get it and its something called vista black ops or something like that.
Got a lot of added stuff. I asked and its a hacked version so now I need to find a legit friend LOL

Thats pretty funny. Never understood why pirates give outlandish and obvious titles to thier work.

Like "black ops edition" dont just scream IM STOLEN IM STOLEN

If you can get an ISO of just the x64 disk, you can use your 32bit key to activate it. Vista's 32bit and 64bit can interchange keys.

Maybe. There are some media incompatibilities. I had a 2 week fight with it. It depends on what kind of license you have (retail, academic, OEM, etc). Also, SP1 or not will cause activation failure if your code is for the other one. IDK why. :rolleyes:

Also, SP1 or not will cause activation failure if your code is for the other one. IDK why. :rolleyes:
I've never come across this as of yet. Every key I have for Vista was issued pre-SP1, and they all have worked and activated using SP1 incorporated media.

I've never come across this as of yet. Every key I have for Vista was issued pre-SP1, and they all have worked and activated using SP1 incorporated media.

Likely, but the opposite doesn't work (SP1 key with a pre-SP1 disk). That's the problem I had. I was too impatient to wait for the MS disk to get here so I DL'd an image (actually, 3 different ones). I fought it for over a week trying to activate. Finally, I reloaded using the actual MS media and all was good with the world.

how long did it take you to get your media from MS.
It has been 2 wks and nothing yet. But I never get anything very fast it seems like.

Maybe. There are some media incompatibilities. I had a 2 week fight with it. It depends on what kind of license you have (retail, academic, OEM, etc). Also, SP1 or not will cause activation failure if your code is for the other one. IDK why. :rolleyes:

You will most of the time have an activation failure because the product was most likely non-retail or a complete different suite to start with and already been activated. Just give them a call for a re-activation and you are done. It's super easy, half the time you don't even need to give the CSR a reason, they just give you a key.

I've done it dozens of times with 100% success result.

You will most of the time have an activation failure because the product was most likely non-retail or a complete different suite to start with and already been activated. Just give them a call for a re-activation and you are done. It's super easy, half the time you don't even need to give the CSR a reason, they just give you a key.

I've done it dozens of times with 100% success result.

Tried that, and the guy kept saying "your Windows are wrong" or something. I loaded teh correct suite, it just didn't work. Now, after getting my MS disk, everything is sweet.:eek:

Back