Official CMSS-3d setup guide?

Works fine for me following the directions you linked.

I've never set it to stereo while using CMSS-3D.

I tried it for the first time and it could be placebo effect but the audio transitions of helicopters and gunfire around me in BF3 sounded MUCH more smooth going around my head, front to back, etc.

I always prefer non-3D for Entertainment, and then I turn it on for Game mode. Mainly because I'm playing music for entertainment. In some cases if I should be watching a video on the computer, I might turn it on, but not often. I'll try this setup for the heck of it.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=96663

Has anyone seem this thing? I've heard you leave everything on two channel and then CMSS-3d "does it's best" to emulate multichannel. All of a sudden we're back to setting the control panel to 7.1/5.1 like in the XP days?

It's always been like this. Changing the number of speakers to 7.1 gives CMSS-3D multichannel audio to virtualize into two channels. How is it supposed to take 2 channels and magically make it sound more like surround sound?

I could be wrong but Earl the audio guy here used to say you have to put it in 2ch and then virtualizes the 5.1. This makes more sense to me and I remember it being this way in XP.

Virtualizing 5+ channels from 2 channels is akin to enabling "large room" or "hall" EQ. This is why many people prefer to switch it off for 2-channel sources such as most music and some videos.

Without feeding the driver 5+ channel audio, how is it to know where to place individual sounds?

Which is why I never really fooled with it, but I have to say I'm finding this setup acceptable now when listening to music. Shrug.

This is relevant for headphones only.

On XP days when hardware accelerated sound was common in games, speaker setup wasnt really needed (except in games with software sound only, like Source based games) because CMSS3D intercepted the signal, detected the soundsource and tried to turn the sound into 3d binaural audio, with more or less success.

BTW if you do not know what binaural audio, listen first two samples with your headphones and all effects disabled.
http://jaxov.com/2009/09/top-10-binaural-recordings-auditory-illusions/

Nowadays practically everything is software accelerated, so setting Windows into 5.1/7.1 makes games send surround signal to your soundcard, and if your X-Fi is set to CMSS3D Headphone it tries to do the same as above, except with speaker number and direction information only. Very similar idea to Dolby Headphone in PowerDVD and such.

Applying CMSS3D on stereo signal is fruitless and only works as spatializer.

I'm not sure if Creative calls them both CMSS-3D, but there are two different functions being discussed in this thread. There is the normal use of CMSS-3D, which is taking a multichannel signal and mapping it to two channels for headphones similar to Dolby Headphone. There is also the reverse function of taking a 2 channel source (like music) and mapping it to multichannel output, like Dolby Pro Logic II.

For headphone use, set 5.1 channel in Windows/games and use CMSS-3D.

Sorry to revive this thread but how does one setup CMSS3D for headphones for games like Stalker? Anything else besides setting windows to 5.1?

Set your Creative control panel to cmss-3d headphone. Then set windows to 5.1 That's the jist of what you need done.

Back