Office 2003 & Office 2007 at the same time?

djnes

Fully [H]
Has anyone installed both Office 2003 and Office 2007 on the same PC? If so, did you have any issues? I have Office 2003 installed, and I changed the install path from Microsoft Office to Microsoft Office 2003, thinking I could do the same for Office 2007.

I've done this, partially, installing Access 2003 alongside Office 2007 (including Access). I did what you did - used separate installation paths for each of the versions so that there hopefully wouldn't be any conflict with shared files/features. So far, it's worked fine...

Good to hear it. I like using Office 2007 better myself, but I need 2003 to support my users. I was using 2007 only, and I'd have someone ask me over the phone where a feature was, and I couldn't remember in 2003.

Office 2007 installs next to 2003 without any problems. I didn't even have to change paths, though maybe that would have been safe to do.

The only major caveat is that you can't have two versions of Outlook or Groove installed. The newer versions will uninstall the older versions (it will ask you before it does).

Working with files can be a pain, depending on how you use the two versions. Double clicking on a file will always open the 2007 version of the program by default. The best way to open something in 2003 is to open the program and then open it from there. A guy I work with complains quite a bit about that, but it doesn't bug me at all since i prefer 2007.

That's good info to know, thanks. Maybe I'll go in and uninstall Outlook 2003 before I install Office 2007 then. Mainly I want both versions, so if I co-worker asks me how to do something in Excel, I'm able to use the same version they are looking at.

We're running into the slight issues with Installer messages mentioned by Microsoft. Switching between 2003 and 2007 Access or Word causes the Installer to run, slowing down the program startup time.

That's good info to know, thanks. Maybe I'll go in and uninstall Outlook 2003 before I install Office 2007 then. Mainly I want both versions, so if I co-worker asks me how to do something in Excel, I'm able to use the same version they are looking at.

Is setting up a VirtualPC for this purpose an option?

Is setting up a VirtualPC for this purpose an option?
That's my option if I can't install them both. I would have to start up the Virtual PC each time, but I guess that would keep the Office install more contained.

I've been running both for several months now. You will need to remove Outlook 2003, however.

Working with files can be a pain, depending on how you use the two versions. Double clicking on a file will always open the 2007 version of the program by default. The best way to open something in 2003 is to open the program and then open it from there. A guy I work with complains quite a bit about that, but it doesn't bug me at all since i prefer 2007.

Very simple fix for this. Go into a folder, go to Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types tab

Change the office documents to open with 2003 instead of 2007 (or the other way around if you want). Some off the top of my head:

XLS = Excel
DOC = Word
DOT = Word Template

Also note that in 2007 the file types are different if you just do a normal save (and do not select for older versions in the Save As drop down). They did this as the files cannot be opened in previous versions unless saved as so.

<<snip>> They did this as the files cannot be opened in previous versions unless saved as so.

Not quite true - Office 2007 files can be opened in previous versions with a compatability pack (freely available from Microsoft's website).

How bout:
'right click' > 'open with' > select office 03

Very simple fix for this. Go into a folder, go to Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types tab

Change the office documents to open with 2003 instead of 2007 (or the other way around if you want). Some off the top of my head:

XLS = Excel
DOC = Word
DOT = Word Template

Also note that in 2007 the file types are different if you just do a normal save (and do not select for older versions in the Save As drop down). They did this as the files cannot be opened in previous versions unless saved as so.

How bout:
'right click' > 'open with' > select office 03

If i remember, that doesn't work except with Access. Open With just says Microsoft Office Excel and doesn't differentiate between 2003 and 2007. There is a choice between versions of Access.

I would play around with it to make sure, but i don't have my work computer with me.

I tried changing the File Type from the folder menu. If you click advanced options in the File Type menu it brings up the commands that you can edit. I changed the "Open" command to point to the Office 2003 (Office 11) install.

I did this for .xls and .doc files. Both ran into issues. Both said various files could not be found or that the installation needed repaired, then they opened. If I changed them back to Office 2007 (office 12) the older files open fine.

Back