Off topic: ebay acct. security question

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
A friend of mine need help. Somehow someone hacked into her yahoo acct., and from there, hack in to her ebay acct. and bought a car, among other things.

1) What does a hacker gain from access someone else ebay acct.? Her paypal acct. is not setup w/ auto debit from VISA, so what's the gain to buy a car from ebay as the paypal acct. will not pay automatically.

2) What other harm can that hacker do from having a login ID and password on an ebay acct.?

If they use the same password for all their online activities then the hacker can/has taken those accounts aswell.

In short, a hacker can ruin your friends online reputation. This could lead to your friend being marked a troll unfortunately.

They can sell items under your ebay ID and you get stuck with the fees. Anyone who wins those auctions may also be tricked into paying the guy who hacked your account and he won't ever send them their stuff - and you can guess who gets blamed - you.

edit - I should also mention that you should never use the same userid/password on a forum as you do on any financial/email site. Often forum software is not kept up to date, and a hacker may be able to access the entire username/password hash table (using sql injection). They then unhash the passwords using a rainbow table or brute force and check every account against major banking/auction/email sites. Just a word to the wise.

korpse said:
They can sell items under your ebay ID and you get stuck with the fees. Anyone who wins those auctions may also be tricked into paying the guy who hacked your account and he won't ever send them their stuff - and you can guess who gets blamed - you.

edit - I should also mention that you should never use the same userid/password on a forum as you do on any financial/email site. Often forum software is not kept up to date, and a hacker may be able to access the entire username/password hash table (using sql injection). They then unhash the passwords using a rainbow table or brute force and check every account against major banking/auction/email sites. Just a word to the wise.

wow...never knew that!!! thx

good tips guys, thank you very much

EDIT:

Someone else has brought this to my attn: The paypal acct. always has info of your bank acct. no. Now if the paypal acct. has been compromised and that hacker has my friend's banking acct. number, what can he do to make use of it?

Back