Odd WIN2K Drive Assignment During Setup

John-K

n00b
Due to a multitude of problesm, I have been forced to reinstall Win2K a number of times.

I have two HDs, one that I use for OS and programs, and one that I use for data.

On top of the floppy, I also have three removable media drives: a CD burner, a DVD burner, and a Jazz drive, which I despise.

To reinstall, what I have done is to delete the primary partition; recreate the primary partition and make it active (only one primary partition); and then setup using the bootable Win2K CD.

Usually, the three removable media drives are enumerated consecutively as E, F, or G -- that is, if the setup goes right.

The correct letter assignment should be:

A: Floppy
C: Primary partition (NTFS)
D: Non-bootable partition (Fat32)
E: DVD Burner
F: CD Burner
G: Jazz Drive

What I get sometimes is:

A: Floppy
C: Non-bootable partition (Fat32)
D: DVD Burner
E: CD Burner
F: Jazz Drive
G: Primary partition (NTFS)

In reading the MS Knowledge Base Articles, it should not do this. It should first look for the bootable, active primary partition and assign that to C:

Anyone have any clues as to why this might be happening? It is a bit of a nuisance to me.

what do you have on your fat32 partition? can you delete that? if i were you, i'd delete that one as well, and then make a primary ntfs for the os, and then another ntfs for your storage or whatever you use it for.

Are you trying to reassign the drive letters? I'm pretty sure you can use the Manger program for this. Right click my computer | manage.

Not sure why this occured, as I had the same thing happen here when I did a fresh install of SBS2003. After I realized the root drive was other than C:, I started over again, this time disconnecting all drives except the one I was installing the OS on. After I got the base OS installed, I reconnected the rest of the drives and everything fell into place.

I've found that if a drive has multiple partitions, deleting the primary partition and re-creating it during the 2k/XP first stage installer will cause OTHER primary partitions to be assigned C: instead of D: and E:, etc......

To stop this I simply do not delete the partition. In fact there is no need too. Just format it!

But anyways, whats the big deal about having the OS installed on C: Its more cosmetic than anything. The OS and applications you install do not care what drive letter they are installed to..... You may find a application the is hardcoded to C:, but those are few and far inbetween......

Back