Odd problem with Win XP Networking...

Sven_Lee

Limp Gawd
ok first of all I'm a rookie when it comes to networking, so bear with me.

Alright so, I've got 2 questions. . I'll go ahead and describe what I'm doing first. Basically I have 3 computers going to a router that my friend got with his Gateway computer (gateway router) going through a cable internet connection.

Now I also have a LinkSys 4 port hub.. Over the weekend I disconnected the router and threw 2 computers on the hub so we could LAN UT2004, etc. When I went to hook up the router again both computers (mine and his) won't connect to the net.. The Local Area Network Connection keeps saying "Acquiring Network Address". Now, the only thing I changed when I hooked up the hub was the NetBios, I set it to enabled, in order to get the LAN up.. So I tried turning it off again, but that didn't do it.. I'm kinda stumped on this one, usually I don't have problems with networking, I've set up mutiple small LANs for me and my friends, but I haven't used a router quite so much.. So basically, right now I can't get online at home.. (I'm in class right now)

My other question - is it even necessary to use the hub? Is there a way to set it up so all 3 computers can access the internet AND use the benefits of a LAN (file sharing, etc) ?

Help much appreciated.. Thank you.

Try reseting the router and reconfiguring it. And no, there is no way to get all your PCs onto the same network without using a hub. Unless you use a switch, or chain them via BNC :)

dariob said:
Unless you use a switch, or chain them via BNC

could you elaborate? :D

I'll try resetting the router, was just hoping I didn't have to do that again, I hate setting it up Lol..

Sven_Lee said:
could you elaborate? :D

I'll try resetting the router, was just hoping I didn't have to do that again, I hate setting it up Lol..

A switch is the same a hub but more efficient. If you wanted a BNC chain you'd have to put old ISA ethernet cards in your computers, and string thick coaxial cable around and terminate at each end. It would be slow and pointless.

You still need a router to split the internet connection, unless your ISP lets you pull multiple IPs, which is doubtful. Here is how it works:

Router - essentially this splits your network into two parts: LAN and Internet. It creates a sub network (your LAN) and forwards the packets between your LAN and the greater internet. This is necessary when you only have one IP address and want to connect multiple PCs on the internet. Most routers contain a built in hub/switch.

Hub/Switch - this just acts as a splitter and allows multiple PCs or network devices to talk to each other. If you plug this into your cable/dsl connection, every PC connected to it will each independantly try to pull an IP off of your broadband. This would directly interface every PC straight to the net. Most ISPs don't like this.

ok I think the router I have will allow for that but I don't know how to set it up.. Basically I can access the router settings through a web browser and it has an option for LAN but I'm unsure of how to set it up (I do have the book somewhere, guess I should find it) but I gotta get to class so I appreciate your help. Thanks man.

Ok I tried resetting the router and it still gives me a "Limited or No Connectivity" message.. Even after resetting it I still can't access the config tool for the router.. It was working fine until I decided to switch over to the hub.. Any ideas?

Make sure that the router is connected to the hub through the uplink port, and if there is an uplink switch, depress it.

well I would except I can't get it to work even with just the router, no hub in between..

I am going to see if a new router will solve the problem.. I can always return it if it doesn't take care of the problem, otherwise I'll just .. reformat the computers or something.

Back