Odd Networking Problem - Not a newb

sorny

Gawd
I put the not a newb in the title so people wouldn't overlook this questoin thinking it was something like "Why can't I fit this PCI NIC in my AGP slot?" or something.

Anyways, I'm working on a computer for a small business. They have a simple 2 computer network that needs Internet access via a DSL router and 1.5MB DSL. Computer 1 works great, good speed,connection, etc. Computer 2 gets a connection but is usually horibbly slow, such as 500 bytes/sec and if you're lucky, up to 5kb/sec. I thought it was the Ethernet cable since it snaked around lights and stuff so I took my laptop and hooked it up and I got some really great speeds. If you ping anything (even the router in the closet) it usually looses a few or the times (even for the router) are 90ms or more, usually more. Drivers didn't help (Intel board with onboard NIC), ran virus and adware scans (AVG and AdAware) without any help. Doesn't have much software on it but Win98SE and a few Office Programs.

I'm thinking NIC but I've never seen one do this. It either worked or it didn't and I've replaced a hundred NICs in my career (I work at a school district with 800 computers). Anyone seen this before because somehow I haven't seen it just have terribly slow connection speeds.

It sounds like you've isolated it to the computer itself. Definatly remove the NIC and replace it with one from a competly different brand. If that doesn't work, look through the BIOS for some sort of weird settings, and then you may have to try reformatting the windows machine. You might have some sort of virus/adware that the software isn't picking up that is crimping your connection *shrug*.

edit: try a different PCI slot first. =)

That was my course of action, but formatting the Windows Machine is what I dread. He's got bookmarks and email all over the place so I dread backing it up, but I guess it's better then some that have 100 copies of software they don't have the CD's for ;)

I think I'll just take a 10/100 generic NIC i have laying around down there and try it out tomorrow and see if that helps. If not I'll go the way of the format. Already checked the BIOS settings, nothing out of place, but there really wasn't many options to look at.

Thanks.

You can get creative if you're up for it. Download and burn Knoppix (www.knoppix.net) to a CD, boot to it, then see how fast it runs on the net. That'll maybe help you isolate whether or not its inside of Windows or a NIC going bad. It doesn't mess with the install, but can give you some objectivity in troubleshooting... And you don't have to know anything about Linux, its pretty straight forward. Your Intel NIC is probably supported so that shouldn't be an issue. If not, heck keep the CD for future tshooting of other issues.

OldPueblo said:
You can get creative if your're up for it. Download and burn Knoppix (www.knoppix.net) to a CD, boot to it, then see how fast it runs on the net. That'll maybe help you isolate whether or not its inside of Windows or a NIC going bad. It doesn't mess with the install, but can give you some objectivity in troubleshooting... And you don't have to know anything about Linux, its pretty straight forward. Your Intel NIC is probably supported so that shouldn't be an issue. If not, heck keep the CD for future tshooting of other issues.

GREAT IDEA! I actually burned a copy of Knoppix 3.4 a few months ago just to play with and I had forgotten I had it or that I could even use it to test out something like. I'm glad you mentioned that, I'll do that before I even stick a new NIC in the machine. It's an older P4 board so I'm assuming it'll be supported.

Thanks!

I had a problem with symptoms basically the same as yours. It turned out that the RJ45 jack on the NIC had a couple pins that were bent up to high to make a good connection with the connector. the connection would come and ago randomly. The slightest vibration would cause it to act up. The link lights and window always showed a good connection, I thought it was the cable at first but I noticed the bent pins after I crimped on new ends.

I suspect someone tried to force the RJ45 connector in upside down and mashed the pins in the process. Anyways I replaced the NIC and all was well.

I'll look at that too as it makes good sense. A couple of weeks ago it'd work full speed one day and the next it'd be running at 500 bytes a second again or slower (everytime timed out).

probably just a needs a new isntall of windows.. just like nerds need to go outside ONCE in a while :D

Got it figured out!

It WAS the onboard NIC. Installed another card, disabled the onboard, and it works great. I assume it's just the RJ45 plug's wires.

Back