Odd network Problem

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having a large problem with my network and I am unsure what is wrong.

My problem is, all of the computers will simultaneously loose their ability to do any thing on the network.
and/or
All speeds for any type of transfer will drop to 10K then when the transfer is complete all of the computers will drop out.

The only way to fix this is to reboot all of the 10 boxes which is a bitch to do because they are scattered all about my parents home.

All of the computers have static IPs, they used to be DHCP until the DHCP server gave the same ip out to all of the computers.
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 V2 acting as NAT/802.11b AP with latest firmware

Does any one have any idea what could be wrong?

Ill provide moar info if requested

I hope this was coherent enough to read and understand

Based off of your problem with DHCP....I'm inclined to suspect that you might have a defective router. Are there log files on the linksys that record error messages and the like? Are there any error messages when this happens?

When the computers stop transferring, you cannot ping anything on the network? Not even the router?

Are all the computers wireless? One thing you need to keep in mind is that on a wireless network, the bandwidth is shared, so all your computers are sharing 11mb. If you have one computer that is downloading something or playing a game or doing any heavy network rx/tx they're going to suck away the bandwidth from everyone else. A lot of people dont know that, and then wonder why their 10, 20, 30 user wireless network is horribly slow. I cant imagine why if this was happening that you would have to reboot every PC to fix the problem. How often does this happen? Is it every time there is a file transfer?

Based off of your problem with DHCP....I'm inclined to suspect that you might have a defective router. Are there log files on the linksys that record error messages and the like? Are there any error messages when this happens?
There are no logs currently, I could set them up though.
When the computers stop transferring, you cannot ping anything on the network? Not even the router?
I can not ping any thing, not even the router (well I can ping 127.0.0.1 but I would think that that would be a given.)
Are all the computers wireless?
1 is wireless; all others are hardwired
I cant imagine why if this was happening that you would have to reboot every PC to fix the problem. How often does this happen? Is it every time there is a file transfer?
If I reboot just one computer, it will be able to get on the network and ping things, but my other boxes need a internet connection too. And it happens at seemingly random times.

edit:// I did the logs, and it only shows traffic, no error messages :/

Originally posted by Boscoh
Setup the logs and see if it logs anything.
Just did, It only shows traffic in/out. No error messages or other infos

You dont have access to another router that you can put in place of your linksys to test do you?

Unless someone else has any suggestions...I would say either take the router back to the place you bought it from, or call Linksys tech support and see if they can help you or RMA it for you.

You dont have access to another router that you can put in place of your linksys to test do you?
No, I do not
Unless someone else has any suggestions...I would say either take the router back to the place you bought it from, or call Linksys tech support and see if they can help you or RMA it for you.
The router is more than a year old and the receipts are looonnngg gone.

I am going to try the "live help desk"
The last time I called a company they said have my parrents get on the phone because I am a kid (15yrs old, but 14 at the time), and as we all know kids dont know shit about computers.....
My parrents think the whole internet is stored on their computer in the little internet icon.

So what options do I have?

Tell em you're 18...theres no reason to tell them your age...if they ask for it, lie.

Back