OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $17.49 AR @ NewEgg

Good price for 1.8v memory for those boards that don't like crucials, and still not a bad pice at $25 /w shipping after MIR.

A little off topic but here I go. These sticks would be a good compliment to my 2 gigs currently looking forward to my Vista x64 switch coming in a week or so. Should I just do 2x2 gigs more because prices are so low or, from all of your experiences here in the forum, is 2 more gigs good until the next build? I know I could read a million reviews but I trust the opinions here a little more than benchmarks. This would be for my gaming/general purpose box.

You mean 2x1gb? I personally haven't found 4x1gb of ram any improvement over 2x1gb but then again I don't do much with it. Mobo looks better with 4 sticks though : \

Depends on what you do, playing games not a ton of improvment. Just having a few applications open not much of a difference. Having 3 monitors and 20-30 plus applications/windows open huge difference, working on going to 8 gigs at work limited to 32bit os right now though.

Good deal though for the memory insanely cheap.

Yeah. I have 2x1 now and this would make 4x1 with a deal like this. I am leaning towards 2x2 (from another deal possibly) in the first 2 slots then 2x1 in the second 2 channels. That is if it would help. If not, I would just take the left over 2x1 gigs and put it in my other box with XP Pro.

If you already have 2x1gb and want 4 then go with 4x1. 2x2 + 2x1 seems like a bad idea if you plan to tweak as it is generally recommended to match sticks of ram and not mix and match

Good price for 1.8v memory for those boards that don't like crucials, and still not a bad pice at $25 /w shipping after MIR.
If these are the exact same one that Fry's sold last year (also OCZ Gold) for $15 AR, these are not stable at anything under 2.1v. Got random BSODs at 2.0v (hours to days).

YEA i had a bad experience with this particular line of OCZ ram
OCZ generally has great ram

The reviews on these modules came in generally favorable. I typically use corsair but couldn't pass on the price.

If these are the exact same one that Fry's sold last year (also OCZ Gold) for $15 AR, these are not stable at anything under 2.1v. Got random BSODs at 2.0v (hours to days).

I bought this kit from Clubit around February-March. It's been 100% stable at 1.8V with default timings.

I ordered the kit above but I am looking to upgrade an SLi rig I have and I was wondering if SLi certified mem is worth it?

I ordered the kit above but I am looking to upgrade an SLi rig I have and I was wondering if SLi certified mem is worth it?

"SLI Certified" is meaningless marketing BS when applied to memory. Choose your sticks based on speed, timings, voltages, cooling, etc. and forget about the SLI certification.

You do get one thing with the certification and that's compatibility testing with other SLI certified gear. Whether you are 100% safe trusting that I highly doubt.

Im in the middle of 2 OCZ rebates that have been less than easy to deal with and I'm having to jump through numerous extra hoops to get the rebates processed.

Honestly, while OCZ makes a great product, these type of practices are uncalled for -

The rebate request must be postmarked within twelve (12) days
(including weekends) from date of purchase to qualify

Do a quick analysis, 2-3 days to ship, 3-5 for delivery leaves 4 days to test the product, compile the nesessary submission info and then take it to the post office so that you have proof of postmark date. Hopefully your order is not delivered on a Sat, as you will be down to 2 business days to submit your rebate. Why not follow the industry standard of 30 days instead of bamboozling customers out of their rebates?

Im in the middle of 2 OCZ rebates that have been less than easy to deal with and I'm having to jump through numerous extra hoops to get the rebates processed.

Honestly, while OCZ makes a great product, these type of practices are uncalled for -

The rebate request must be postmarked within twelve (12) days
(including weekends) from date of purchase to qualify

Do a quick analysis, 2-3 days to ship, 3-5 for delivery leaves 4 days to test the product, compile the nesessary submission info and then take it to the post office so that you have proof of postmark date. Hopefully your order is not delivered on a Sat, as you will be down to 2 business days to submit your rebate. Why not follow the industry standard of 30 days instead of bamboozling customers out of their rebates?

An OCZ rep has stated that they do make exceptions. All you need to do is ask for an extension or explain that you ran into technical problems or whatever. He said they're very good about taking care of people.

I actually got my rebate from them in 4 weeks. I also sent in my rebate 2 weeks after the order date. I didn't have to talk to anybody. I didn't even realized there was a 12-day window.

I have only ever dealt with corsair rebate which went smoothly. The timings on these sticks aren't the greatest but it's for my linux dev box so I am not too concerned. I have to say that the response I have seen from this post has been nothing short of amazing and I thank all of you for your comments.

I hope that these sticks work well because I am not one to change vendors. My last three systems have used gigabyte mobos, corsair ram, WD raptor drives, and antec cases and PSU's. But I have heard a lot of good things about OCZ and thought I would give them a shot.

Yeah, they raised the price on it and now I would go for the SLi kit which is 25 after rebate.

Back