OC gone horribly wrong?

Shady240

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
500
ok heres the story...

i had a "stable" OC of 3Ghz on my Q6600 with the p5n32-e SLI, ran Prime95 on all 4 cores for 10+ hours. well i let it idle while i was at work, only to come home to find it frozen during posting...so something made it restart then wouldnt let it start and now it wont even post. the highest temp it seen was 42C and that was when prime was running otherwise it runs at ~ 32C on idle. any ideas?

i tried:
different ram
COMPLETELY resetting CMOS (disconnect the psu from the mobo, take out the battery, move the jumper, only instead f 10 mins i let it sit for ~3 hours)
the only thing i didnt do was reseat the CPU, i reseated everything else.
 
Sounds like a bad motherboard, I doubt you fried the CPU. RMA time for the motherboard.
 
It's pretty hard to kill a chip these days as they will save them selves from a painful death by shutting off. I'd try it in another mobo to be safe.
 
yeah im trying to find a 680i A1 board, i know its all luck of the chip but i heard they're way better for overclocking Q66's. couldnt even pass 3Ghz so thats i stayed at 3.0
 
I have 3.0GHZ on my 6600 and I had some problems with it early on, but it seems ok now.
 
mines still not ok, tried firing it up this morning only for a no post...everything turns on EXCEPT the fans plugged into the board so somethings not going right on the board...
 
I have heard rumors of the p5n mobo's being bad for OC'ing but i have my P5N-E SLI OC'd most of the time and havn't had any troubles. I would just try another Mobo if i were you.
 
I have the same board with the Q6600 and it was Stable oc in prime and everything seemed fine until I came home one day with a blue screen that said Halt error. When I rebooted I got a trap exception just before the windows splash screen. It works fine when not OC'd but wont OC anymore. I have done everything the op has done and still cant get it to OC. Think it's the board? Got it as a refurb from Mwave.What's a good board that wont cost me an arm and a leg?
 
I have 2 mobo's here and a B3 stepping Q6600.

680i A1 - good overclock but something not quite right as could crash it on demand by using DVDx and XviD encoding. Produced a solid hang that needed a reset to fix at anything over stock speeds. Good feature is the unlinked ram speed so could overclock the FSB higher than the ram. Mobo blew up with a bright flash one day, still awaiting time to RMA it.

P5K Delux - P35 board, rock stable and running at 3.2GHz (can do 3.4GHz but its pushing the limits a bit to hard). No problems with it at all and even passes the tests the 680i fails.

Both boards were 6h P95 stable but the 680i just would not run some programs without a hard lock.
 
yeah dude... i doubt you killed it.

hell, for shits and giggles i kicked my q6700 to 4.0, without upping the voltage. it went to windows, but prime wouldn't even run for 3 seconds before it errored.
i kicked it down to 3.6 and prime started and ran until i fell asleep.
i woke up and it was off, lol.
 
Back
Top