• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

O/C System Overhaul, need help

Ange062

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
2,088
Ok, ive been outta the game for a while, but im trying to get back into things cause its time for a system upgrade. And now for the question that will probably have hate mail streaming into my PM box, AMD or Intel???

Here are the systems I have picked out, let me know what you guys think if you have experience with any of the components, or would like to reccommend better or advise about crappy parts. Right now im leaning towards AMD, though at this point it is still undecided.

AMD System:
3700+ Athlon64 (San Diego Core)
Abit AN8 N-force4 Mobo
2 x 1GB Corsair Twinx 550c2.5 DDR

<<<<<< OR >>>>>>

Intel System:
P4 640 3.2GHZ 2mb cache
Abit AA8XE 925XE DDR 2 mobo
2 x 1GB Corsair Twinx 667c4 DDR2

<<<<<< For Both >>>>>>>

To complete either system:
2 x 36GB WD Raptor SATA HDD (raid 0)
1 x WD 320GB Sata HDD w/ 8MB buffer
2 x Liteon Dual Layer 16x DVD burner
Sapphire Radeon X850XT-PE 256MB DDR3
PC Power and Cooling 550watt PSU
Some kind of watercooling (undecided)
 
forget raid0, it's useless for the most part. the raptors are nice though :D

for the rig, i'd go amd, but do this instead:

3700+ san diego
DFI nf4 ultra-d
2x1gb crucial value (i should know how this stuff oc's soon thanks to Brando457)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
forget raid0, it's useless for the most part. the raptors are nice though :D

for the rig, i'd go amd, but do this instead:

3700+ san diego
DFI nf4 ultra-d
2x1gb crucial value (i should know how this stuff oc's soon thanks to Brando457)


The 3700+ san diego is the core i was considering if going AMD. I was considering the 74GB raptor instead of the two 36 in raid 0, so I will keep that in mind. I have also been hearing alot about the DFI, which is making me think about switching from Abit, even after years of flawless performance from their boards. Corsair RAM is a must though, I will most likely stick with the TWINX.

Thanks for the tips.
 
If you were going the AMD route I would get the San Diego 3700+, and the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR or simliar. I would scratch the Sapphire Radeon and get a 6800ultra. For memory I would get memory that would do 2-2-2-5 timings.

I don't have a preference for video cards, it's just that if you ever wanted to go SLI, you could.

With three HD's, and two DVD drives, plus the video card(s), you going to be pushing out alot of heat. Make sure you get a case that is going to provide plenty of airflow, and spend the money for good fans, even if you do go with the WC setup.

What is your primary purpose for this rig anyway? If I was building a new rig now, I would just get an X2.
 
Just an all around kinda compy. Mostly gaming, ripping DVD video, listening to music, surfing the internet, and a little bit of school software (NI LabView, PSpice, MaxPlus).

I think the X2 is just going to be too much money for me to be able to afford anytime soon, and from what ive been reading on multi-core procs, i dont believe that anything i will be doing will gain much from having a dual core chip.
 
Back
Top