Hey guys,
Just got a new Colorful brand 6600GT AGP (it's a China brand most here would not be familiar with
), installed the card and then realized that I was getting LOWER framerates than my old 9600XT. And my whole system was acting sluggish too.
Thought it was some driver issue, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times even using Driver Cleaner, but to no avail. Finally decided that I had enough and reformatted my system. Then realized that the issue was due to the Nvidia drivers (have tried multiple versions including the latest 77.77, beta 80.40, all with the same effect).
Basically what would happen is when I plug in my 6600GT AGP without drivers, it would not have any issues, but of course the screen would be slow - no drivers. But when I install the drivers and reboot the system the Windows Task Manager reports CPU Usage at 100% when I have NOTHING, no programs on my computer except for Windows and drivers for my NF2 mobo + 6600GT.
The computer is slow as if you're priming, and hogging all system resources. On the processes panel in Task Manager, the System Idle Process is showing 99%, which is contradictory to the fact that my CPU Usage is sitting at 90%-100%.
The computer takes forever to reboot. Once I uninstall the drivers, the issue magically goes away. Same when I reinstall my old 9600XT, everything goes back to normal, CPU Usage when idle at 0%.
Card's been tested on another computer and has been verified to work. I have tried virus scan, ad-ware, spybot scan etc. all clear. Computer is defragged, nicely done reformat, all clean.
System specs are in my signature.
Running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all latest security updates.
Latest Nforce drivers installed for mobo, version 5.10.
The reformat was done on normal FSB clock speeds. Anyhow the problem is coming up whether or not the system is OC'ed.
Only other thing I can think of at the moment is my el cheapo brandless 420W PSU. Is it likely to be giving me this much trouble trying to power a 6600gt? Ratings are:
+3.3V: 28A
+5.0V: 40A
+12V: 20A
-5.0V: 0.5A
-12V: 0.8A
I would really appreciate any help or suggestions at all that I could get.
Thanks Guys!
Just got a new Colorful brand 6600GT AGP (it's a China brand most here would not be familiar with
Thought it was some driver issue, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times even using Driver Cleaner, but to no avail. Finally decided that I had enough and reformatted my system. Then realized that the issue was due to the Nvidia drivers (have tried multiple versions including the latest 77.77, beta 80.40, all with the same effect).
Basically what would happen is when I plug in my 6600GT AGP without drivers, it would not have any issues, but of course the screen would be slow - no drivers. But when I install the drivers and reboot the system the Windows Task Manager reports CPU Usage at 100% when I have NOTHING, no programs on my computer except for Windows and drivers for my NF2 mobo + 6600GT.
The computer is slow as if you're priming, and hogging all system resources. On the processes panel in Task Manager, the System Idle Process is showing 99%, which is contradictory to the fact that my CPU Usage is sitting at 90%-100%.
The computer takes forever to reboot. Once I uninstall the drivers, the issue magically goes away. Same when I reinstall my old 9600XT, everything goes back to normal, CPU Usage when idle at 0%.
Card's been tested on another computer and has been verified to work. I have tried virus scan, ad-ware, spybot scan etc. all clear. Computer is defragged, nicely done reformat, all clean.
System specs are in my signature.
Running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all latest security updates.
Latest Nforce drivers installed for mobo, version 5.10.
The reformat was done on normal FSB clock speeds. Anyhow the problem is coming up whether or not the system is OC'ed.
Only other thing I can think of at the moment is my el cheapo brandless 420W PSU. Is it likely to be giving me this much trouble trying to power a 6600gt? Ratings are:
+3.3V: 28A
+5.0V: 40A
+12V: 20A
-5.0V: 0.5A
-12V: 0.8A
I would really appreciate any help or suggestions at all that I could get.
Thanks Guys!