Novell Problem

Guarana [BAWLS]

[H]ard|Gawd
At work we've got a novell 5 network running at work here over a 10/100 mbit network

all of the older boxes are still running win98 and work fin no matter how they're hooked up they're fine, the problem is with the 2K/XP boxes.

When they're hooked into te network on a 100mbit switch they refuse to detect the network, but when we drop them down to a 10mbit switch they connect fine and work.

This is obviously posing a problem as we expand the number of newer systems with 2K and XP....

HELP!!!! :)

edit: they are set to 10/100 on the PC autosensing on the NIC, and if we log into the workstation only the PC can get online, but not to the novell network. Its frustrating and makes no sense here.

Is your switch manageable? I would double check by consoling into your switch and making sure that all ports are set to auto.

Other then that, do you have a spare different brand NIC you could try in one of your Win2k/XP machines? I can't see why a NOS would matter in terms of physical media.

Your novell network, is it running on ipx/spx or tcp/ip?
Also howare the clients connecting to the novell network, with the microsoft client or novell client?

the majority of the switches are cisco 10/100 switches. They are set to auto. (Been checked)

We've tried about 8 different NICs and everything.

IPX only on the Novell client, and they're connecting using the Novell client login, not the windows.

So you just don't see the tree when you try at 100?
What is the speed of the novell server(s)
Have you checked novell's (forget actuall name) trouble database about this?

Make sure that if the switches are managed that there isn't anything at the switch blocking it. I know that my switch (unmanaged) does have some feature that keeps broadcasts (certin ones if I remeber correctly) from the 10 mb connections from reaching the 100 connections.

Now I'm not completely familar how ipx works like I do tcp/ip but it worth checkin

the novell servers a all running at 100MB on the network, and we have tried the NICs at 100 only and it didn't seem to help....

Have you tried specifying the IPX/SPX frame type on the NICs? Some of the NICs we use at work have problems autosensing IPX/SPX frame type.

I second the idea of checking the frame type. I had that exact same problem with IPX.

See what Frame Types the server is bound to. It should be 802.3 but some people change it to Ethernet-II

As has been suggested, hard code correct frame type on clients.

Also, hard code correct speed and duplex on network cards on clients. We had some major problems with 3com cards not auto-negotiating properly, and causing IPX to not start.

Verify that the clients didn't install with IP-only support, assuming you're still using IPX for connecting to the servers. The newer clients may default to IP, not IPX.

Originally posted by bdavids1
As has been suggested, hard code correct frame type on clients.

Also, hard code correct speed and duplex on network cards on clients. We had some major problems with 3com cards not auto-negotiating properly, and causing IPX to not start.

Verify that the clients didn't install with IP-only support, assuming you're still using IPX for connecting to the servers. The newer clients may default to IP, not IPX.

the newer clients do default to IP only, but our servers aren't running IP with IP support so we know if we fuck that up quickly :)

I'll try out fixing the frame type....

Back