Not so much overclocking, as it is clocking

[27]

n00b
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
59
I apologize ahead of time with any oddities in my capitalization, this keyboard is going out.


Anyways I am frustrated beyond comprehension with my QX6700 as I cannot get it to clock correctly.

I am running the QX6700 on an Intel D975XBX2 (badaxe2) motherboard. My power supply is a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W. And I am running 4GB of Corsair Dominator 3200 5-5-5-15@2.2V. The proc is cooled by a Zalman Reserator XT. I also pulled practically everything out of the system, but I did leave the boot drives. Vid card I am using for testing is a FireGL V5100

That being said, my complications arise from teh following:
  • I CANNOT get this thing to POST at the 2.66GHZ it is supposed to be at.
  • ANY Multiplier over 9 will cause a NO POST, even with the FSB WAAAAAAAY down.
  • The highest I have gotten it to post is 2.52 GHZ by jacking the FSB up to 280. It only posted once and no posted after that.
  • At 9x279 (2.51GHz) I can get it to post regularly, but this is still WELL below the 2.66 it should be at.

Take into consideration that only 1/5 of the time will either the BIOS auto-recovery or moving the jumpers work after a NO POST. The rest of the time I am stuck pulling the CMOS battery.

If anyone has any ideas I am more than willing to try them. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

should also add that cpuz does identify it as a qx6700
[27]
 
i am at the latest bios (should have mentioned that earlier) as it was one of the troubleshooting steps i took.

i have not downgraded the bios yet, looking into it now to see if that will work.
 
looked into a bios from jan of last year (only one I found with a quick search), it wont flash, says something about a programming error.

again i appreicate the help on this and any feedback is welcome =)
 
have you tried upping your voltages? I dont see any voltage references anywhere.....
 
yeah really sounds like a board problem to me, or possibly even the chip? have any other chips laying around you can throw in there to see what happens?
 
Hmm, seems like a board problem to me...

Have you tried a single stick of RAM yet?
I have tried a single stick, no dice

have you tried upping your voltages? I dont see any voltage references anywhere.....
Tried that too, didnt help = (

yeah really sounds like a board problem to me, or possibly even the chip? have any other chips laying around you can throw in there to see what happens?
tried with a X6900 (yes you read that right) and It does go to teh correct clock, but its a dual core, not a quad. Not sure if that will make a difference here.

In respect to the bios, i finally managed to flash it to the 1/10/2007 bios via ISO. This didnt help, in fact it made winders throw up on itself lol.

The fun part through all of this, is now I think that the constant pulling and replacing of the ram blew out one of the sticks :furious:
 
RMA the board and chip then... Something's wrong that shouldn't be. I'd guess it's the board, as most CPU's are good from the factory... Can't say the same for the mobos.
 
Back
Top