Not So Good Intro to AC: Belkin AC1200

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
It's been a while that I've looked into my i7 920 based hardware and it's clear that there's room to upgrade basically everywhere.

For starters, I'm tackling my wifi which was previously handled by a Linksys N router. Lately, it's been dropping connections to my main desktop computer which is connected wirelessly with a USB 2.0 Netgear N adapter. I have Charter cable and using their modem. With this setup, prior to recent dropped connections, I'd say 99.9999% error free operation.

So I walked out of my local Best Buy with a Belkin Ac1200 partly because I had zero issues with a prior Belkin a/c/b router and partly because it was affordable. I struggled between that and another Linksys that was $15 more but ended up with the Belkin thinking I wanted to also get an AC adapter - ended up with an Asus PCI-E adapter with external antenna since I figured USB 2.0 would be redundant and didn't want to take up one of only 2 USB3.0 ports I had available.

The Belkin AC1200 has been awful.

The 5GHz will not stay connected for any longer than an hour. I thought it was for sure my old Netgear N adapter which is what got me to head to Frys and pick up a proper Asus AC adapter - same thing. I tried with other devices so I can get closer to the router itself - same thing. One of my Android devices initially even had trouble connecting to 5 at all.

The 2.4Ghz band is not nearly as bad. I was almost resigned to keeping the unit and running 2.4 until I got the 5.0 straightened out until I woke up this morning to find that 2.4 lost connection too! It was asking me (yet again) to power cycle the modem.

At that point I decided I would return this AC1200 in exchange for a more reliable brand.

Question 1) Is AC is still premature these days? I don't stream media much from my main desktop but I do a lot of multiplayer gaming (like Ark).

Question 2) I was looking at Netgear AC1200 or Linksys AC1750 as replacements. Any opinions on these?

Thanks for reading.

1. 802.11ac is a 5Ghz band. 5Ghz has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz.
  2. Belkin is junk.
  3. What is your budget? It looks like ~$100
  4. AC is not premature - you just ended up with a poopy wireless router
  5. If you are set on using a traditional home wireless router - go with Asus or Netgear (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2) for your budget

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cmustang87, thank you ...

1) Yes, understood.
2) Thank you - this is one of the things I wanted to confirm.
3) Yes, but $150ish is ok too.
4) Thank you - another thing I wanted to confirm.
5) Thanks again - I may just go with that AC1750 from either Asus since my adapter is their PCE-AC56.

That sounds good - and good luck!

Try to find a nice central location for the router, at least the best you can.

Back