Not getting correct upload speed with FIOS?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I got 25/25, and I'm only getting 25/8.

I tweaked all the settings for Win7 already, checked/double checked my router.

At first, I was getting 25/1, then I rebooted the router. I'm now getting the 25/8. How can I get the rest of what I'm paying for?

The router I'm using is a D-Link DGL-4500, which should be more than capable of handling this speed. I've read somewhere that this can be caused by a router having a too small NAT table?

Edit: Ok, checking on Speakeasy speed test as well as Speedtest.net, I'm getting 25/8. When I use Verizon's own speed test page (actual test, not reading from my account), they read 25/22, which sounds a whole lot more like it. Which one am I to believe?

Last edited:
Ok, checking on Speakeasy speed test as well as Speedtest.net, I'm getting 25/8. When I use Verizon's own speed test page (actual test, not reading from my account), they read 25/22, which sounds a whole lot more like it. Which one am I to believe?

I would think a speed testing site would be on a very high speed connection, so as to avoid being a bottleneck and corrupting the test results. You may indeed have a ~25Mb connection from you to Verizon, but there might only be an ~8Mb link from Verizon to the other sites.

Any speedtest will be limited by the slowest link anywhere in the chain from you to the final site. The Verizon test shows the high speed link between you and them, while the external tests expose limits further down the line. In this case, it seems the Verizon test is showing your theoretical speed, but the external tests are showing more real-world results (i.e. outside the ISP's own network), which seem to be limited by something other than your own personal connection.

Any speedtest will be limited by the slowest link anywhere in the chain from you to the final site. The Verizon test shows the high speed link between you and them, while the external tests expose limits further down the line. In this case, it seems the Verizon test is showing your theoretical speed, but the external tests are showing more real-world results (i.e. outside the ISP's own network), which seem to be limited by something other than your own personal connection.

Although that's understandable, wouldn't this have applied before, when I had 15/2, I was getting exactly that? 15/2?

So you're saying most likely something along the line is limited to 8Mb max?

Although that's understandable, wouldn't this have applied before, when I had 15/2, I was getting exactly that? 15/2?

I believe he was stating that your upload bandwidth might be capped to 8Mbps at a time, but say you filled all 8, it would then open another node giving you 8 more

I think that is what he was stating. Compare your speeds with Verizon's internal speed test

I believe he was stating that your upload bandwidth might be capped to 8Mbps at a time, but say you filled all 8, it would then open another node giving you 8 more

I think that is what he was stating. Compare your speeds with Verizon's internal speed test

Hmm. Never heard of that before. Is that called compressed upload?

yes because before you only were using 2mb upload, not 25 or trying.

verizon will say as long as their test shows 25/25 or 22 that the service is what you are paying for and that anything out side their networks they cant control.

speedtest.net and speakeasy are good ones

can you try with your computer right to the modem or device with no router?

yes because before you only were using 2mb upload, not 25 or trying.

verizon will say as long as their test shows 25/25 or 22 that the service is what you are paying for and that anything out side their networks they cant control.

speedtest.net and speakeasy are good ones

can you try with your computer right to the modem or device with no router?

The only way I can do something like that is to connect my computer directly up to the ONT. That would be a pain. :p To the router? Most definitely. I'm not using Verizon's router; I'm using the DGL-4500, which is connected directly to the ONT. It's not my cabling either, as I have brand spanking new CAT 5E which I wired my entire house with.

i guess you dont have any friends with the same package as you do that you could do speed tests between?

Exactly. An 8Mb limit somewhere along the line wouldn't be limiting your previous 2Mb connection, but would limit your new 25Mb connection.

Exactly. An 8Mb limit somewhere along the line wouldn't be limiting your previous 2Mb connection, but would limit your new 25Mb connection.

Gotcha. I mean, it does make sense, I'd half expect somewhere along the line for there to be subpar equipment, or equipment that limits the speed purposely for the sake of continuity across the entire board.

Just want to make sure I'm indeed getting 25/25.

On the other hand, if the only place you can see close to the 25Mb is Verizon's own test, they could be fudging the results, or you may be limited to 8Mb on anything outside Verizon's network (which would severely impact the usefulness of your "25Mb" connection).

Run some traceroutes and see if you can find another speed test (or even just a huge file to download) just off Verizon's network. You want something that's not Verizon, but with as few links in between as possible, to limit the number of possible slowdowns.

25Mb equates to how many MB/s?

Edit: nvm, got it. I can pretty much state with certainty that my download speed is correct; where can I upload something large to test the upload speed?

Edit 2: Uploading a 290MB file to Sendspace nets me 1050KB/s. I think that's roughly 3 times slower than where I'm supposed to be at?

Last edited:
ya but that could be their server as well.

Know anyone in an IT job or friends of friends who would let you test an upload to some fat 100mb pipe..lol

you COULD actually download utorrent, and start downloading a linux torrent, leave your upload wide open and see how high it goes, since people downloading from you = your upload speed hard at work!

Yeah, I'm dumb, I should've said upload rather than download. Like MrGuvernment said, BitTorrent may be the easiest way to max out your upload pipe. As long as you pick something popular (enough people downloading from you to max your upload), that should eliminate server bottlenecks. As long as there's bandwidth available and you disable any connection limits in the BT client, then you should just get more connections until you're maxed.

ya but that could be their server as well.

Know anyone in an IT job or friends of friends who would let you test an upload to some fat 100mb pipe..lol

you COULD actually download utorrent, and start downloading a linux torrent, leave your upload wide open and see how high it goes, since people downloading from you = your upload speed hard at work!

Ok let me give that a shot.

Ok, my upload speed is only about 1MB/s. It's supposed to be 3 times as fast.

Update:

Just got off the phone with Verizon. They said it's provisioned properly, and the speeds are what they should be. I ran some other tests on Verizon's own site (speed test site), and it all comes back perfect. It's just that every other speed test site comes back with the upload being slow.

I tried a different router, same thing.

Should I just leave it alone now?

Update:

Just got off the phone with Verizon. They said it's provisioned properly, and the speeds are what they should be. I ran some other tests on Verizon's own site (speed test site), and it all comes back perfect. It's just that every other speed test site comes back with the upload being slow.

I tried a different router, same thing.

Should I just leave it alone now?

how often are you going to uploading at more then 1mb/s? if its often, i would raise hell..

also, the speed tests you're running, their server MIGHT be limited to 8mbps download speed (most speed tests wouldn't need a super high download rate as most connections are below 1mbps upload - no where near 8mbps, forget about 25..)

I have never seen a speedtest that gives reliable readings above 10mbit (on the upload).

When using my machine at work, connected to a Cisco 1811, connected to a Foundry RX-16 with a pair of 400mbit connections on it. All Java/html/flash speedtests I run, read 50-60mbit on download and between 9 and 11mbit on the upload, when I can absolutely go faster then that (on both counts)

I'm on Fios as well, just ran the speedtest.net test and got 25/23, with the speakeasy speed test I get 25/11Mbps. My actual upload is a solid 25Mbps when its stressed, so I would say take the speed tests with a grain of salt. Did you try running multiple torrents to maximize your upload? I have had no issues reaching my maximum upload.

I will have to say though, properly verifying upload speed is rather difficult, as ultatryon@ecc has said.

I'm on Fios as well, just ran the speedtest.net test and got 25/23, with the speakeasy speed test I get 25/11Mbps. My actual upload is a solid 25Mbps when its stressed, so I would say take the speed tests with a grain of salt. Did you try running multiple torrents to maximize your upload? I have had no issues reaching my maximum upload.

I will have to say though, properly verifying upload speed is rather difficult, as ultatryon@ecc has said.

Well, I did try running one torrent which is VERY popular, and I was only getting about 1.3MB/s upload speed, which is about 8Mbps.

Back