Not bad, not bad.... $15 shipped for a 550W PS.

BioSs

Gawd
Not bad at all.. 15 shipped for a 550W PS will ensuff feed most of PC. But, if looking for specific power out put. You might need to investe a better one.

Lazy link here

~BioS

EXTREMO POWER :rolleyes:

I would rather spend the money on a PSU that won't crap out on me, but that's just me.

550 watt for $15 is nice for a crap psu though. Wonder what the ampres on the 12v rail are.

Yup, this up for eveyone, not just for ya..

My neighbor running a generic 350W to game 6hrs a day without a simple complaint.

generic PSUs are a bad idea. ive had 3 blow on me. none have luckly taken any hardware with them

Originally posted by kronchev
generic PSUs are a bad idea. ive had 3 blow on me. none have luckly taken any hardware with them
I'd get pretty bad vibes if i put that psu in my system. That being said, i will admit it looks nice for the price, dual fans would help keep it cooler + running longer and thus more stable. This would be ok for a budget setup or 2nd rig, not a fully decked system though. For those who can afford them, a quality psu with a proven track record is cheap insurance.

Well that would be a good deal for me...considering im poor...LOL...but i have no money...and you guys say generic isnt very good, so... THANX
C'YA :-D

^
are you metallica band? (or however you spell the name) If you are you forgot to put the '?' in the little smile thing :p

Originally posted by SJetski71
I'd get pretty bad vibes if i put that psu in my system. That being said, i will admit it looks nice for the price, dual fans would help keep it cooler + running longer and thus more stable. This would be ok for a budget setup or 2nd rig, not a fully decked system though. For those who can afford them, a quality psu with a proven track record is cheap insurance.
If I was on a budget, that would most likely mean I won't have much money to buy replacements if they break. So if I save like $20 on a PSU, it dies taking several parts with it, I will end up buying half the system back. By saving money you are only costing yourself more in the long run. Not worth it IMO.

I dunno, I just have always had problems with generic PSU's, and this one I have never even heard of which makes it worse.

It's not only cheap PSU's that do this. My antec 430W true power went up in a blue blaze of glory, and left a burn mark inside my case and on the wall. Didn't hurt anything else, but a drive cable on my DVDRom.

Originally posted by NewBlackDak
It's not only cheap PSU's that do this. My antec 430W true power went up in a blue blaze of glory, and left a burn mark inside my case and on the wall. Didn't hurt anything else, but a drive cable on my DVDRom.

:eek:

I will not use anything but brand name PSUs in my computers and computers I build. A friend built his computer and had a generic PSU in it - it ended up killing his motherboard, processor, video card, and hard drive. Maybe his DVD drive as well.

But this looks like it could make for a decent PSU to just use as a workbench PSU.

Originally posted by omega-x
:eek:

You got that right. Wish I would have had a video camera on to catch the flame/arc whatever it was. It was bright enough to make my eyes hurt, and I wasn't even looking directly at it.

blah blah blah blah.

I have always purchased elCheapo PS's. Since I started building computers. (486/Pent days). I never had a problem with them. So then I decided to splurge and get the Antec TruPower 430. I have had this PS for almost a month and then it went south. Of course I RMA'd it, I would of been without a computer. However I used one of those ElCheapo PS to carry on..
Maybe its just my luck.

I used to believe that psu's made no difference, I got a compusa brand 500watt power supply and it burned the power connector of my Tyan Tiger MP, ruining the power supply and motherboard. Its a good deal, just beware.

Originally posted by Sinster
blah blah blah blah.

I have always purchased elCheapo PS's. Since I started building computers. (486/Pent days). I never had a problem with them. So then I decided to splurge and get the Antec TruPower 430. I have had this PS for almost a month and then it went south. Of course I RMA'd it, I would of been without a computer. However I used one of those ElCheapo PS to carry on..
Maybe its just my luck.

I agree with most of what you say.

I had two $70+ PSs crap out within 14 months, back in the day when I fell into the Monster-Cable-like PS fad. Yet, I have some $20 PSs still running after 5 years.... one still running since late 1996!!

Now, out of common sense, I won't touch the cheap-cheap PSs. My happy, 95% average reliability, standard is nothing below $20 and nothing above $40, while paying attention to the amperage on the rails.

My latest and greatest find is right here. A simply kickass PS:
http://www.techimo.com/articles/i145.html

last two generic PSU's ive had were dual fans...all they did was make them loud as hell.

Im sorry but ram and psu's in my eyes fall under the "you get what you pay for" section

I had a generica350 power supply once and it was causing all sorts of instability and then one day i opened up the computer and the mainboard connector was melted to the board!! haha!

Yeah, brand name PSU's can die, but most likely they won't take anything else with them if they do. Most generic ones will die easier and have good chances of taking several other parts with them.

Imediate cost: $15
Future cost: High possibility of dead mobo, cpu, etc, and replaced PSU

Fortron 350
Imediate Cost: $44
Future cost: none, you won't buy another PSU until standards change or you *acutally* need more power (read: dualies or RAID)

Originally posted by BiGWooDy
THANX
C'YA :-D
WTF?!?!?!? That's the second time today I've caught you using that...no one can be me...you're not l337 enuff to use my THANX C'YA ?:-D or any variation of it... so >:-P ...I'm gonna call my attorneys!!! THANX
C'YA ?:-D

P.S.: I guess you could buy the PSU and keep the power cord and the 2 fans...I wouldn't want the PSU part tho

P.S.: I guess you could buy the PSU and keep the power cord and the 2 fans...I wouldn't want the PSU part tho

You have to pay $14 for the two fans, $2 if you want a power cord, and $1 if you want screws :p

Originally posted by ya cha cha
I used to believe that psu's made no difference, I got a compusa brand 500watt power supply and it burned the power connector of my Tyan Tiger MP, ruining the power supply and motherboard. Its a good deal, just beware.

NOTE! Tyan MP users! This is a common problem with these mainboards, go to the forums on 2cpu.com and see what to do to make this problem go away. Independent of power supply.

BTW, I've used generic power supplies since day 1 (can you say "let's get the 8088 powered XT clone but we don't need to spring for the VGA graphics, CGA will meet our needs"?) and have had to replace maybe 2 or 3, but never been able to trace any component failures to power supply. And I keep stuff a long time, I"m known among my friends for my collection of antique computers. Currently running a K6-3 plus 500 on the motherboard that originally housed my HOT P150 @ 187. I'm not afraid of generic power supplies. You shouldn't be either. But we can all preach till we're blue in the face and not convince the "other side"! LOL

I went ahead an ordered one.... $15 free shipping aint a bad deal.... But I aint going to be using it in a computer.... I'm just going to use it to power up circuits I build.

Its cheaper than getting a power brick from radioshack.... and much easier than building my own power supply.

i like how it says "Noise killing technology!".............yea cuz it'll kill the rest of ur system!:D

... That being said, i will admit it looks nice for the price, dual fans would help keep it cooler + running longer and thus more stable. This would be ok for a budget setup or 2nd rig, not a fully decked system though. ...

It's only dual-fan if you pay an extra $14, though.

"That being said," I ordered one, too. Nice to have a temporary backup.

I've used cheapos for many years now nad I've never had a problem. I consider myself lucky.

Originally posted by ChingChang
are you metallica band? (or however you spell the name) If you are you forgot to put the '?' in the little smile thing :p
lol i was immitating him for a bit but it got boring:rolleyes:

EDIT: holy crap edited the post twice.. anyways back to psu's... ive never really used brand named psus and theyve never crapped out on me:confused:

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
Imediate cost: $15
Future cost: High possibility of dead mobo, cpu, etc, and replaced PSU

Fortron 350
Imediate Cost: $44
Future cost: none, you won't buy another PSU until standards change or you *acutally* need more power (read: dualies or RAID)

This is how I view it too. With a decent PSU you have a bit of peace of mind because (probably) nothing will go wrong. That saves you time and money in the long-run.

Besides that, while I have no evidence for this, it seems like when better quality PSUs fail they are much less likely to take anything out with them. Anyone else notice that?

Originally posted by blip

Besides that, while I have no evidence for this, it seems like when better quality PSUs fail they are much less likely to take anything out with them. Anyone else notice that?

No.

I lost a P4 cpu to a $70 Antec PS burning out, and it was within a year of the PS being bought new. Then the new replacement PS (warranty) put in different system, just a few months and that one dies, taking the motherboard with it. Also suggested Enermax to friend (after I swore off Antec) so he could replace the cheap PS that came with his case, which had died and not taken anything with it. His $65 Enermax lasted 1 year and a couple of days before it went up in a puff of smoke (literally), taking his P4 cpu also. I've had a couple of the cheap with case PS go out in the past, only 1 that took an additional component, motherboard.

Now I stick to PSs only in the $20-$40 range, thirteen bought and in use so far in different systems in the last two years. Only one burnt out, taking nothing with it.

That's my experience.

WEll, my rule for cheap PSU's is to not use them in a taxed system. I probably could get away with a 300W unit (maybe 350 with my dualies), buut since I don't run much else in the box, then a cheap-ass 550W unit should pose no probs.

Just my 2 cents, if that.

Back